1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

UPGRADE: Windows 7 32 Bit to 64 Bit Home Basic

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ajoy_c, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajoy_c

ajoy_c Thread Starter

Hi,

I have recently bought LENOVO Z560 with pre-installed 32-bit Windows 7 Home Basic.

I want to know:
    1) How can I upgrade to 64 bit Home Basic
    2) How can I know/ get the PRODUCT KEY of my pre-installed 32 bit Home Basic
    3) Do I need to pay extra amount if I upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit (as, I have heard that if I purchase, I will get 32 and 64 bit OS in a single pack only)
    4) Will my existing set of drivers work fine with 64 bit Home Basic. If not, from where can I get the drivers

Thanks In Advance.

Regards,
    Ajoy

2. BUCK_EYE_66

BUCK_EYE_66

1) To upgrade to the 64 bit OS you need the 64 bit installation Disk DVD.
    2) Your computer MUST have a COA Sticker "license" for Windows 7 somewhere attached to it if you bought it retail. With the OS preinstalled. It is rectangular about 1 inch by 2 inches. It will say the name of the Operating System for which the "Product Key", on the sticker, may be used to reinstall the OS on that computer.
    3) The Product Key should work with either x86 or x64 software
    4) Go to the manufacturers support page for your specific model. If they don't provide 64 bit drivers. You may be biting off more than you can chew.
    5) Does your Processor have the ability to run a 64 bit OS?

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Your computer is definitely a 64Bit model. It is hard to understand why the retailer would have only installed the 32 Bit software, as, for him, there would have been no extra cost. Perhaps you could go to the seller and enquire? He should have the 64Bit DVD and, if you still do not have it, the key.
    If it were I, and he, the seller, claims to not have the original key, I would be very apprehensive about the sale.

4. Brucew0619

Brucew0619

Well, right now, most of computer are 64Bit model, and almsot every PC installed 32Bit system. Maybe not so many people use the 64Bit system. If I got my computer with 64Bit, I will change it to 43Bit, because most of program should run with compatible mode.

5. ajoy_c

ajoy_c Thread Starter

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for all your inputs.

Trying to make my position clear..

1) When I bought the laptop, it was a box piece with pre-installed 32 Bit Win 7 Home Basic. No CD/ DVD was provided alongwith it. They asked me to create a rescue disk for formatting/ re-installation purpose.
    2) I have executed "Upgrade Advisor", and its report was - my laptop can be upgraded to 64 Bit
    3) I know that most of the softwares run on 32 Bit. But, I have 8 GB of RAM installed. With 32 bit OS, I am able to use only 4 GB. I want to make full use of 8 GB RAM.

Now,
    1) Can I use the same product key (will try finding out one as BUCK_EYE_66 has adviced) as my 32 bit OS, go to Microsoft site and upgrade to 64 Bit?

2) Is there any other way out to upgrade/ use 8 GB of RAM.

Regards,
    Ajoy

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Everything that I've been reading about the Lenovo IdeaPad Z560 laptop says it comes with Windows 7 Home Premium(64-bit) pre-installed.

Are you sure about what version of Windows 7 is installed in your laptop? I can't see a laptop coming with 8 GB of RAM pre-installed and coming with a 32-bit version of Windows pre-installed.

There is no such version as "Windows 7 Home Basic". There's a "Windows 7 Starter Edition", but that comes pre-installed only in netbooks.

Right-click COMPUTER, then click Properties. What's listed there for the version of Windows?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

7. davehc

First Name:
    David
    You might find this interesting reading. It certainly looks like you should have had 64Bit ready installed.
    http://www.windows7news.com/windows-7-faq/windows-7-home-basic/

fwiw. Flavelee. Research shows that the "Home basic" is available in what is termed "emerging markets. This appears to be in mainly eastern countries, but predominantly in India.

8. BUCK_EYE_66

BUCK_EYE_66

Windows 7 Versions:
    Starter
    Home Basic
    Home Premium
    Professional
    Ultimate
    Enterprise

I happen to have installed all of them at one time, or another.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    BUCK_EYE_66:

That's the first I've heard about there being a Windows 7 Home Basic version. The Windows 7 site doesn't even mention that version.

davehc:

Thanks for the link.

---------------------------------------------------------------

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There is no 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Basic. Try running Windows Anytime Upgrade to see if you're eligible for an upgrade price.

11. Brucew0619

Brucew0619

OK, I had search the answer for you with Google, generally, Key is just a number wothout the different between 32Bit and 64Bit. So, if you update yo 64Bit, this key can active your system in most stitation.
    And I found most of games and programs can be installed and run well in 64Bit. And there are also some methods to use 8 GB of RAM in 32Bit system, but may result to blu screen.

12. davehc

First Name:
    David
  13. BUCK_EYE_66

BUCK_EYE_66

Ha Ha good one! On my planet there is! I have the DVD. I have installed it lol

14. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Check out
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions
    http://www.differencebetween.net/te...etween-windows-7-home-basic-and-home-premium/

Most OEM versions come only with one bit version. If you have the 32 bit preinstalled, then one must pay for a new 64 bit license.

15. BUCK_EYE_66

BUCK_EYE_66

Here is the bottom line. If you have a license for Windows 7. It IS a license for both versions of the Operating System (x86) & (x64). You may use it to install either version. As many times as you want, on the same computer.
    However, you need both versions of the installation software DVDs. And, the software is ONLY sold with a license.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/984696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice