1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade Windows NT to XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by flyboy320, Sep 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyboy320

flyboy320 Thread Starter

I have a 3-4 year old IBM Thinkpad (PIII 500) that has NT4.0. I have been trying to install some software and it seems that some software is not compatible with NT, so I'm thinking about installing XP.

I have installed XP pro on a home desktop before, but not on a laptop. Is there anything different about a laptop (I don't have any original disks with the laptop for drivers etc.) that I should know about before proceeding? The computer has one 10gb h/d that is partitioned into a C: and D: drive. Do I just boot into dos with a system disk and do fdisk to reformat the drive into one again?

2. rawmeat

rawmeat

The most important thing is whether or not your laptop and it's parts are on the hardware compatibility list. If not, you should not put XP on it. Upgrading can be problematic and it is best to perform a clean install. I am not sure, but I suspect that you should not upgrade from NT4 to XP home in any case, maybe XP pro would be OK. If your laptop and parts are on the HCL, then you won't need the original driver disks as they wouldn't have XP drivers on them anyway and XP will have native drivers for them.

Parts include HD, PCI cards, built-in modem or NIC, etc.

Hope this helps.

3. flyboy320

flyboy320 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I have installed Xp, and went well. I'm now "fine tuning" ie. turning off services that are not needed.... :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice