Upgrade woes...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HungryMuffin

I'm interested in getting the home premium upgrade(I can get it at school for $100) and I have a legal version of XP on my computer right now. However, when I bought the computer it came with no disks whatsoever so apparently I can't upgrade even though I have a valid windows os. Is there any way around this? I know I have a partition of the hard drive that I can't edit, would that be the contents of the disks loaded to the drive?

I think you'll be able to just boot up XP, then insert the Vista disk and let it install. You should have the choice of installing it on a seperate partition or over your XP installation.
I believe you won't need the original xp disc though. At least that was my experience when upgrading from XP pro to Ultimate (upgrade).

Vista requires XP to already be installed before it will do the upgrade. How bloody retarded is that? So much for CLEAN UPGRADE...

I see a whole lot of problems with these upgrades... :(

Apple does it SO much better. When you buy their OS ($120 or $200 for 5 pak) there is NO OEM/UPGRADE version. You get a FULL version, period.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online