1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peat, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peat

peat Thread Starter

The computer I bought in late 1998 consisted of:

A-Trend ATC-5220 Mainboard
    AMD 330 MHz processor
    4GB ROM
    32 MG RAM
    Connexant SoftK56 Data Fax Speakerphone PCI Modem
    A Jen Plug and Play Monitor with a S3 Inc. Trio3d/2x v1.00.16 Gr Video Adaptor
    Creative Sound Blaster Audio PCI 128 Sound card
    Windows 98 v 4.10

Recently, someone suggested to me that increasing the RAM would be a good idea.
    An article in a magazine suggested that this was a relatively simple operation so I got my hands on a 64MG card which I fitted and was well impressed with the improvement.
    I now wonder about increasing the memory further.
    I spotted an advert in a computer mag for cheap memory cards and went to the web site which had a search sequence for compatible cards for my Mainboard – the results are confusing the web page is; http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.asp?model=ATC+5220&DetailMB=Y&cat=RAM

The cost of a 128MG card varies from £15.99 to £51.99!!!

My questions are –

1. Is it worthwhile to increase the RAM given the limitations of the rest of my equipment?
    2. If it were worthwhile, which of the cards in the advert (if any) should I get, and why?
    3. Would other component up-grades be more beneficial?

( It should be noted that I have two left hands and only get the use of the family brain-cell every second week!)

I look forward to any advice,
    Cheers,
    Peat

2. plschwartz

plschwartz

Do you have a receipt or elsewise know the specifics of the 64meg stick you bought? what doe you have in your slots now.
    I went looking for your manual but the atrend site seems down.
    What does it say about memory if you have manual.
    Yes with your system more ram is better

3. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Howdy,

plschwartz....the Atrend site is not only down, they're out. Gone.

peat, this is about the best info I could find for you.

http://www.bios-drivers.com/companies/129.htm

I have an Atrend board....old one...I want to do something with it, just don't know what yet.

Spaceman

4. peat

peat Thread Starter

I don't have a reciept or details of the 64meg stick that I installed, nor have I paid for it yet.
    I believe that the mainboard will support up to around 350 meg but I was wondering if it was worth the effort/expense or would I be better off upgrading the CPU.
    Also thte variety of memory cards is confusing -

128MB CT16M64S4D75 SDRAM, PC133 • CL=3 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 7.5ns • 3.3V • 16Meg x 64
    128MB CT16M64S4D7E SDRAM, PC133 • CL=2 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 7.5ns • 3.3V • 16Meg x 64
    128MB CT16M64S4D8E SDRAM, PC100 • CL=2 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 8ns • 3.3V • 16Meg x 64
    128MB CT16M72S4D75 SDRAM, PC133 • CL=3 • Unbuffered • ECC • 7.5ns • 3.3V • 16Meg x 72
    128MB CT16M72S4D7E SDRAM, PC133 • CL=2 • Unbuffered • ECC • 7.5ns • 3.3V • 16Meg x 72
    128MB CT16M72S4D8E SDRAM, PC100 • CL=2 • Unbuffered • ECC • 8ns • 3.3V • 16Meg x 72
    128MB CT16M72E4D6 EDO • Unbuffered • ECC • 60ns • 3.3V • 16Meg x 72

The cheapest £15.95 , the most expensive £51.21, what's the difference?

5. plschwartz

plschwartz

Peat.
    You can mix different speeds (pc 100 and pc 133) you just will get the system operating at the slower speed. You cant mix Sdram and EDO which is why I asked about the 48 meg stick that works. Most probably it is SDRAM but do try to check. The other thing is that you will notice that some are non-parity and some are ecc. The former are 16x64, the latter 16x72. If I remember correctly ecc needed more connectors. The 64 and 72 refer to the number of connectors on the bottom of the stick. 64 and 72 are none-interchagable. Count connectors to be sure.
    My best guess on an el-cheapo board is el-cheapo memory SDRAM, pc 100 64 pin cl=3 will work just fine. But try to double check.

6. peat

peat Thread Starter

Thanks very much for your help folks - much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Peat

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice