1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Catoir, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Catoir

Catoir Thread Starter

This forum has been a huge help in the past some I'm looking for some advice.

I have an "old" PC and I'm thinking about upgrading my motherboard and processor to something less obsolete (the reason? to get a game loaded my daughter wants that requires 233 processor). I have the following:

166mmx
    Tyan Tomcat socket 7 MB
    awe 64 sound card
    an ancient 2d video card
    an also ancient orchid 3d card
    win 95

I am thinking all I have to deal with is the MB and processor.

Am I right in my assumption? And, what is a good site to walk me through this process?

Looking forward to the adventure,
    Thanks

2. Rockn

Rockn

It probably requires a PII 233 not a regular PI. You really can't do much with that motherboard as far as upgrading too much farther. If you do upgrade to a PII you are going to have to get a new case, power supply, memory, CPU, video card. You would probably be better off buying a whole new system for the cost of the upgrad to your current system.

3. Rikku

Rikku

I guess the first question is - how much are you willing to spend?

That will help determine which route you need to take!

That particular motherboard can only, at most, accept a processor as fast as 200, maybe 233. So getting a new CPU by itself probably isn't an option.

But replacing the MB and CPU usually means replacing other components as well (like the RAM and maybe one of your cards).

Assuming you can keep your current hard drive, you could go the route of getting a new motherboard with onboard video, sound, etc. so you don't need to buy those extra components - but then you would have to buy a processor and RAM.

Prices aren't bad these days, so you could expect to get that kind of bundle for pretty cheap.

I've seen a bundle that includes
    950 Athlon processor w/fan
    Motherboard w/sound,video,modem,network card
    and a new case and power supply
    for $199
    add $30 for a stick of Ram and you'd be in business! :)

4. Catoir

Catoir Thread Starter

Good points about the case and power supply and I forgot about getting different RAM.

Your right 200 is the max for this MB.

I was hoping to spend less than $200 which it looks like I can almost do, but in doing so, there won't be a whole lot left of my old computer and I'd be gambling with a creaky old HD.

The logical thing to do would be return the game and eventually get a new computer.

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice