1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Upgraded Computer Cpu And Ram and Computer Will Not Start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carter7868, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carter7868

carter7868 Thread Starter

So recently I got an older computer and i decided to upgrade the Cpu and the Ram once I installed them (I am sure I installed it correctly) I went to start my computer and it did not start the front light that turns on when the computer starts was not on the fans were not on. but on the mother board there is a little green light that turns on when the motherboard gets power and that light was on. so then I put the old cpu and the old ram back and it had the exact same problem where it would not turn on I'm not sure if it is because my mother board is bad or because my bios version is out of date for that processor or ram. oh and the computer was working without any problems before I upgraded.
    Here is the components i had and got:

Components I had:
    -Processor: AMD Athlon 5100 series
    -Ram: 2 Gb Transcend DDR3 1333 U

Components I just got:
    -Processor: AMD Athlon 5350 series
    -Ram: Kingston HyperX fury Memory Red 16Gb 2x8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 Dual Channel Memory

If you could help as soon as possible that would be highly appreciated.
    keep in mind I will be going on vacation soon so i will not be able to answer some of the questions.

-carter

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is this a Name Brand computer (Dell, HP/Compaq for example)or a custom made computer? If the former the exact Make and Model number including Service Tag Number if any. If custom the Exact Manufacturer and Model Number of the motherboard and revision number (if any), Manufacturer and Model of the Power Supply.

3. carter7868

it is not a custom built computer It is a certified data i will post a picture of it soon

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I have never heard of a certified data computer. Also what OS is installed? and is it a 64bit version of the OS?

5. carter7868

6. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    What's the EXACT original CPU?

Fwiw, that power supply unit is absolute junk. Extremely lowend unit. I would replace it with at minimum a CX 430 from corsair.

7. carter7868

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

According to the support page for your mb, your new cpu is supported from the release bios so the bios should not be a problem.
    Next when you swapped cpus, did the old cpu by chance come out with the hsf attached?

Just my opinion however that is a VERY low end system and I would not put any money into upgrading or repairing. Up to you however it is not cost effective.

9. carter7868

To get the old cpu out I took the fan of by pulling out the pins then I flipped the little lever up and took out the old cpu to put the new one in i just reversed the process

And i know it is a low end system but i wanted get an older pc and make it better but it hasn't really worked yet.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You did clean ALL parts with 99% alcohol and apply new thermal compound correct?

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You don't remove a processor and then replace it with another processor without first doing what was said in post #10.
    Hopefully, you didn't damage or fry both processors.

---------------------------------------------------------------

12. carter7868

I did not apply the thermal compound I think it was on the fan so when put the new cpu in i put the fan on correct and i did not clean it with 99%alcohol I just followed the instructions that came with the cpu

13. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    you always are supposed to clean the new surface with 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Also new hsf with npaste that paste is absolute junk.

14. carter7868

ok so I'm still I little confused should I send it back and get a refund or should I keep it and try to do something different.

15. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Well if you're just going to do basic web browsing it might be OK...but honestly if R&R the HSF and apply fresh new AS5 paste AFTER YOU CLEAN IT with alcohol.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice