Upgraded CPU, Now Win7 Won't Start

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kapustin Yar

Hi Gang,

I have a dual boot desktop. win7 on C and Wnxpsp3 on D

I have an AMD 2600 XP+ and I upgraded to an AMD 3000 XP+. The only way I could get the extra speed out of the 3000 was to increase the multiplier. The only way I could do this was to increase the mhz from 133 to 165mhz in the bios. Otherwise I get a reading that says the cpu is only 1.75 ghz.

The problem is when I do this I can't boot into Windows 7, It just says "starting windows 7" and it just stalls. When I try to boot into the XP drive I get an error message like its trying to boot into the wrong disk.

How can I fix this?

See if there is a bios update for the motherboard that supports that processor.

Kapustin Yar

Is the setting overclocked?

I think so, although I've never overclocked before so I'm not sure.

I know that if I set the speed t 166 it doesn't start. As a matter of fact if I set for anything for155mhz it won't start. If I set it for 154mhz it will start and remain in windows, for like 8 minutes, and then it reboots itself.

antech

Banned
Probably not a windows or software problem,but a hardware one.
Restore the BIOS to their orig ones.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online