1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgraded GPU to get no feed unless in safe mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wattstheunitforpower, Jan 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wattstheunitforpower

Wattstheunitforpower Thread Starter

So I have upgraded my GPU from a Radeon HD 6770 to a AMD Radeon HD 7770 GHZ Sapphire edition, and I am getting only a black screen unless I boot in safe mode, which is annoying. Please could anyone help.

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Did you uninstall everything related to the previous device before installing the new one?
    In safe mode, go to Programs and Featuress and do that. Also uninstall anything related to the new device, if there is anything. Then go to Device manager and remove any and all Display adapters. Answer "Yes" if asked to remove the driver(s). DO not reboot until all Display adapters have been removed.
    Reboot and you should be able to install the latest drivers from the manufacturers website.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

How to properly install a new video card;
    1 Old card still installed, go to the respective support site ie nvidia or amd. Download the latest driver
    2 Old card still installed, uninstall ALL software based on the old card ie driver, any monitoring software, any suite, etc. When it asks to restart, just tell it later
    3 Shutdown and pull the old card. Install the new card and make any pw connections as necessary
    4 Pw ON and install the driver you downloaded in step #1
    5 Reboot when prompted

Done.

It would REALLY help if you post all of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for all of your parts.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice