1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgraded internet speed and router stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kinghifi, Jan 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kinghifi

kinghifi Thread Starter

I upgraded my internet speed from 40 to 120 Mbps and almost immediately my router (Netgear R6400) stopped working. Devices show wifi but no internet. Rebooted modem and router and nothing happened. Too much of a coincidence for Router to break I think. Checked with ISP and modem is fine. Internet is working when hard wired into computer. How do I fix?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi kinghifi, and welcome to TSG.

Is it possible that your router was configured to work with your modem operating in bridge mode (No NAT) and the modem got reset to non-bridge mode as part of the speed upgrade?

3. kinghifi

kinghifi Thread Starter

that is a good question and I have no idea. Is this something I can remedy or would the ISP folks have to take care of?

4. kinghifi

kinghifi Thread Starter

I spoke to the provider and it is in bridge mode.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Did your provider happen to mention if you needed to change anything in the WAN configuration of your Netgear router to after the upgrade?

6. tecknurd

tecknurd

What is the brand and model of your modem (assuming cable)? The reason why I'm asking, the only reason you want to put the wifi router in questioned in bridge mode is connect your wired devices to wifi without installing wifi on your computers or desktops. There are modems that also include a router or wifi router.

Putting all routers in bridge mode does not enable NAT. If your ISP only allows one IP address, only one computer can access the Internet at a time. NAT is required if you want many computers to access the Internet with one IP address. Putting a router in bridge mode disables firewall.

Does your Netgear R6400 have logging? If so, look through the logs and try to find out what it trying to do.

Did you try to clone the MAC address from the computer that is able to connect to the Internet for the Netgeer R6400. That computer will required to be off the network to minimize conflicts. If cloning the MAC address works, reset the Netgear R6400 to defaults and call your ISP and relay the Netgeer R6400 MAC address to them.

In Windows, disable IPv6 and try to access a site like google.com. Disable IPv4 and enable IPv6 and try to access google.com. If one or other works, then either IPv4 or IPv6 settings are wrong.

Log into your modem and check its logs. Even though your ISP saids that your modem is OK, you can check if your modem is having any trouble doing anything by accessing it through a web browser. Check your modem's manual for the IP address and login information. You may need to change your router's DHCP settings to be outside this range.

All else fails reset the Netgeer R6400 to factory defaults.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

So the hard wired systems are working OK and it is only wireless that is not working; is that correct?
    I checked and there are two different versions of that router; ver1 and ver2. Ver2 has a firmware update that addresses wireless issues. Which router do you have and have you updated to the latest firmware?
    Specs show that as a dual band router. Wireless does not work on either band?

Many modern routers have an auto update option for the firmware however it never hurts to check what firmware ver you are running. Personally I disable the auto update option.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice