Upgraded motherboard & cpu, now wireless card won't detect networks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

leunames

I'm hoping you guys can help...

I upgraded my mobo, cpu, ram and video card today. I kept my HDD, optical drives, and my wireless adapter (Edimax EW-7128g)

In my zeal to install my new components I had forgotten to uninstall the drivers of the edimax, which I was going to keep, and my old ATI radeon, which I was replacing.

After installing the new components, every thing started up fine, except the edimax wireless adapter would refuse to connect, or even detect any wireless networks. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers countless times, swapped the wireless card around in the different pci slots, but still came up with the same problem.

I noticed that when I checked the network adapters in control panel, it would keep calling the Edimax "wireless adapter (2)" or "wireless adapter (3)" depending on which pci slot I put it in. I would try renaming it to simply "wireless adapter" but it would state that an adapter by that name already exists. I'm guessing this is some holdover from being connected to the old motherboard.

In short, new mobo recognizes the card, latest drivers for windows 7 are installed, but windows keeps telling me there's an error with the drivers, and every time I try and search for wireless connections, it won't even search...it will just say "no connections available." Was this whole issue precipitated by forgetting to uninstall the drivers and the card itself before upgrading my mobo?

Old system (everything worked)
AMD Athlon X2 64 3600+ cpu
Biostar TF570 SLI mobo
Hitachi 250GB HDD
Corsair DDR2 2GB ram
Sapphire Radeon X1950pro 256mb
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Edimax Ralink EW-7128g wireless card

New system (wireless card not detecting networks, stays disabled in network adapter view, while device manager shows as enabled)
AMD Phenom II 3.1GHz cpu
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 mobo
Hitachi 250GB HDD
Mushkin DDR3 4GB ram
XFX Radeon 5670HD 1gb
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Edimax Ralink EW-7128g wireless card

Any advice???
Do I need to put back my old rig in, uninstall the drivers from there, and then put my new components back and install again?

Help? Thanks.

etaf

Wayne
have you re-installed the software and chipset drivers etc - or are you hoping the Harddrive with the software on works ?

Normally you would re-install the windows software onto the new hardware - as you may get a few issues

can you do this

------------------------------------------------------------------------
{Device Manager}
Post back the results in device manager
Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
windows 7
start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here
------------------------------------------------------------------------

i suspect the best way is to remove the wireless adapter from device manager and re-install - lets see the above

leunames

i uninstalled the software and drivers after putting in the new components, because i had onlly realized that i had forgotten to do that after the fact. Anyway, Windows 7 recognized everything immediately except for the video card, which i had drivers for.

As for device manager...unfortunately i'm at work now so i don't have access to my home machine, but I recognize what you are saying. For network adaptors it shows my wireless card, and the on-board LAN on the new motherboard. Neither have any quesion marks or signs of unrecognized hardware....

....HOWEVER....if I go to conrol panel-->networks and connections-->network adapters, it will show the on-board lan as disabled (i had manually disabled it myself, then re-enabled, then disabled again to see if that would fix the problem) BUT would show the wireless card as disabled. This is strange because according to device manager the wireless card is enabled. When opening the wireless configuraiton utility the option to rescan the networks is greyed out and a status of "disconnected" is permanently on display.

in the course of a few hours last night i had removed the wireless card from device manager, moved it to a different PCI slot, reinstalled drivers, and tried to scan networks again, with no luck. As such, uninstalling and reinstalling the card hasn't yielded any luck....

etaf

Wayne
in device manager on the menu
view>
show hidden devices >

make sure nothing is ? or ! - it maybe the PCI

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online