1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgraded out of Windows 7 only to have left-over corruption

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bsacco, Feb 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

A big thanks to those that assisted me in getting my Broken WIN 7 & up and running again so that I could find a pathway to upgrade to WIN 10.

So, as of yesterday, I became a WIN 10 User. There are a few things to report.

Upon installing WIN 10 and using my WIN 7 Product KEY to activate WIN 10 using Microsoft's "Team India - Level One support person" I am left with a main issue.

1) The upgrade to WIN 10 worked but now when I start up I am asked to either pick WIN 10 or WIN 7 (old recovered and corrupt) OS. Obviously, I can't use a corrupted WIN 7 OS even if I wanted to and in addition I don't have any software that requires me to run WIN 7. Cut-to-the-chase - I don't need WIN 7 OS installed on my C Drive. The question I have is how do I delete this install of WIN 7 without deleting either my installed programs or my WIN 10 OS install? I am sure hoping that I don't need to NUKE everything on my C Drive and do a CLEAN INSTALL. I'm trying to avoid that at almost all cost.

Thanks in advance.

bob

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Deleting an operating system also deletes all installed programs. Isn't that kinda obvious?

If you want to delete Windows 7 but not delete Windows 10 then do exactly that.

Huh? First question is what do you mean by your "C Drive"? When you boot to Vista or later versions of Windows the partition in which Windows is installed is designated the "C Drive."

Assuming that the partition in which Windows 7 is installed is not the boot ("active") partition you can just delete the partition or delete its contents. And make Windows 10 be the default boot and either remove Windows 7 from the boot menu or make the delay zero or one second.

3. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

If i remember correctly (correct me if im wrong anyone) by upgrading to windows 10,you are left with a "Windows.Old" file of windows 7 in start menu/my computer/C:
    I have came across this before.By deleting the "windows.old" file,it no longer gave me an option of booting into another windows.It worked that way in windows 7 anyway.I would think it would work in windows 10.
    Before doing so,i would wait for advice from a more experienced tech to collaborate.

4. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    I have heard that you have 30 days when Windows 10 automatically removes the Windows 7 OS from your system. This is due to that if you want to revert back you may do so before the 30 days.
    If you don't need Windows 7 anymore and have backed up all your documents you may just make a fresh install of Windows 10 and whatever programs you had.

5. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

I've uploaded an image of the startup situation I described.

I'd like to DELETE the Win 7 startup option.

1. Can that be done?
    2. Does anyone have step-by-step instructions?
    3. Last question...I promise;) How do you know if your WIN 10 upgrade install was done on a (clean-enough) C Drive? That is, I'm always wondering if I should do a clean install. It's nagging at me all the time. Though, the prospect of gathering up all my programs and reinstalling creates skidmarks...;)

Attached Files:

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Post a screenshot of Disk Management please, expand it's window to show all the details first.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That is pretty easily done if Microsoft hasn't crippled msconfig. In a Run box (Windows logo key + r will launch one) type the command msconfig and click on OK. On the boot tab you should see two entries. Make sure the entry for Windows 10 is the default and then remove/delete the other one. Click on Apply.

Be sure to follow Allan's instructions if you still want to also "delete this install of WIN 7."

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice