1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgraded processor and computer is slower

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kenpodad, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kenpodad

kenpodad Thread Starter

I have a tyan trinity i845e/s2099 mobo which I had a p4 1.7 ghz and upgraded to a p4 3.06. My mobo supports hyper threading and a front side bus of 533. My problem is that after installing the new 3.06 processor it boots sooo slow now and would take forever to get on the internet. The processor came with a thermal pad which i used instead of thermal paste. I will be very greatful for Any help with this.

2. chakorules

chakorules

I guess I am going to ask the simple question first. Did you verify that the motherboard sees the new cpu at the rated speed? Notically you would see that when your machine boots up in the BIOS screen. Also some boards need hyper threading ENABLED in the BIOS, and they require matched DDR sticks in two different BANKS of ram and indicated by colored pairs normally on most motherboards I've seen recently.

3. kenpodad

kenpodad Thread Starter

Hi Chakorules, The motherboard does see the new cpu and posts the 3.06 rated speed. I am not able to enter the bios to enable the hyperthreading. I have tried all the combinations to enter bios setup that phoenix has but still could not get in, I have also tapped the del key before the boot and no luck.The two sticks of 512 184pin ram are both in the blue ram slots. I could not enter the bios way before I installed the new processor.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What speed is your RAM, PC3200? You might actually want to disable the Hyperthrerading as it can cause issues in some cases and see if there's any difference. Also check that the CPU's Heatsink is seated correctly, Pentium 4's have thermal protection that slow them down if they overheat.

5. kenpodad

kenpodad Thread Starter

Triple6, My ram speed is 2100.thanks for the info, I will try it.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It seems there's a BIOS update you may need for full support of your new CPU.

http://www.tyan.com/support/html/b_s2099.html

You only need to get the latest BIOS release as it includes all previous fixes.

As for entering the BIOS, try F2 or F10. Usually it tells you on screen the key to press.

7. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

There are a number of ways to enter BIOS, you just need to find the one for your board.
    Usually Del, F1, F2, Esc + F10, etc.

I just ran into a older model (early 90's) that I needed to hit Esc + Ctrl + F1.
    It took me forever to figure that out.

Also try to flash your BIOS.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice