Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgraded Processor, Motherboard and Power Supply - Won't Boot

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
So I’m running an MSI FM2 a55m e33 board, I had a dual core processor, just recently tried to upgrade to a 2.8 quad core, so I put in the processor, went to turn on my pc, and nothing happened. It powered on, screen stayed black. I had a gtx460, and I had a 450w psu, then I realized the gtx460, needs a 500w power supply and upgrading to a quad core sucking more power out, I possibly fried my videocard? Or motherboard? Bought a Used ASUS P5K motherboard, bought a 650w power supply, and an ati Radeon HD 6870, tried to set that up with the MSI board cause it’s a better board, powered on, and it powered on, didn’t display anything, and wouldn’t read the hard drive. Switched boards to the ASUS, and the psu clicks and shuts off right after I turn it on. ? At a loss and frustrated help?

#6 ·
Post the exact processor you installed. I assume you did check the support page for that motherboard.
I am really at a loss here;
Bought a Used ASUS P5K
Why would you purchase a motherboard for an intel processor when you are using an amd processor board [the msi] That makes no sense to me.

#7 ·
Amd athlon II x4 730, FM2 socket is the processor I tried to put into the motherboard, as the upgrade (quadcore), yes I checked the support page prior to.

The ASUS P5K I bought used with a processor on it. And Ram, Thinking I blew either the video card or motherboard, I bought the ASUS as a quick fix to swap boards,

#8 · (Edited)
OK, if you checked the support page you would see there are two different 730 processors listed AND they require different bios. What exact bios are you running on that board?
I tried putting in the old cpu dual core, and also nothing
It is possible you broke something while swapping cpus. By chance did the old processor come off with the cooler when you first removed the cooler?

#9 ·
OK, if you checked the support page you would see there are two different 730 processors listed AND they require different bios. What exact bios are you running on that board?

It is possible you broke something while swapping cpus. By chance did the old processor come off with the cooler when you first removed the cooler?
It did come off with the cooler, yes

#10 ·
OK, you have your answer; you broke a pin or pins on the old processor AND possible damage to the motherboard socket.
Here is how you remove a cooler that is stuck on.
1 Release the cam lock and spring clips
2 Do not pull OFF the fan lead. Leave it ON. Pw ON the system for at least 1min
3 Pw OFF and the cooler should now lift right off without damaging anything

It is too late now and [IMO] I would not invest money into fixing your existing parts. Go with a modern amd or intel motherboard and modern cpu/ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.