Upgraded RAM, comp shuts off after 15 mins...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GSixZero

Hello,

Last night I upgrade the RAM on my mother's computer. She has an HP Pavillion 533w with 256mb RAM stock and I added a stick of KByte 512mb RAM to the empty slot. I have installed memory before and I did what I normally do and it powered right up, the system read that it had 768 mb RAM...but after about 15 mins it shut off (it did not go thru shut down, just powered off). I rebooted and after another 10-15 it did the same thing. I have not had time to fiddle with it since but I also thought I should seek some advice first. Does anyone have any thought to trouble shooting this?

Thank you.

GSixZero said:
Hello,

Last night I upgrade the RAM on my mother's computer. She has an HP Pavillion 533w with 256mb RAM stock and I added a stick of KByte 512mb RAM to the empty slot. I have installed memory before and I did what I normally do and it powered right up, the system read that it had 768 mb RAM...but after about 15 mins it shut off (it did not go thru shut down, just powered off). I rebooted and after another 10-15 it did the same thing. I have not had time to fiddle with it since but I also thought I should seek some advice first. Does anyone have any thought to trouble shooting this?

Thank you.
try taking the stick you installed out. if it works, try putting the old stick in the other slot. if it still works, then it's a problem with the new DIMM. if it doesn't work, then there's a problem with that memory slot.

cheers,

roger

GSixZero

Ok...I tried switching slots and it still powered off, so I tried just goin back to the way it was with stock 256 RAM and it still does it. The only thing I disconnected while back there was the master ribbon for the HD because its in the way of the memory slots. I reconnected it properly. Could this be causing the problem?

Also, when it turns off you cannot just turn it back on again. It must be unplugged then plugged back in...if this sheds any light on it at all.

Thank you.

Adam

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online