1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgraded RAM in Presario not working! help?! Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MikevonB, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MikevonB

MikevonB Thread Starter

I'm trying to bump up my RAM in a Compaq Presario, but the sticks I bought, after being installed, won't let the computer boot.

Here's a pic of the 512's (have 2 that are currently in), as well as the 1GB's (have 3 that I'd like to put in) that I'm attempting to put in.

Any ideas?

Also, why do Presarios have 3 RAM slots? I thought you had to have pairs to work.

Attached Files:

• rams.jpg
      rams.jpg
      File size:
      189.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Welcome to Techguy MikevonB! That's a really old system you are trying to upgrade! I'd say the chances are good that your motherboard simply can't support the memory you are trying to install. My best suggestion is that you go to Crucial Memory's website. and use their memory advisor tool to examine your system and get some memory recommendations. You will need to remove the new memory and get back to a working configuration first.

3. MikevonB

MikevonB Thread Starter

I tried calling Compaq's toll free support line, but the s/n I have listed is a 12 digit, and I guess their system only allows 10 digit s/n's -- the guy I was talking with had no idea where to go from there.

I have a laser engraver that needs an XP system, and I'm scared to move to a newer computer with all the stuff required to operate it.

The only other thing I can think of is to get something that virtually operates in XP, but has the power of a newer machine.

4. MikevonB

MikevonB Thread Starter

Hmm, looks like I'm capped out at 512 sticks.... even though it also says 3MB max

so I'm kinda confused (beyond my normal state)

5. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Clarity is helpful. If you have some specific requirements for software/hardware you need to run, you should make that a part of your original post. As of right now, you haven't said anything relevant to what you want to accomplish. No one can tell if your CPU can run your software (or even what software you want to use). Without some information about the hardware requirements of the engraver software you plan to use, we are dead in the water. It isn't even possible to say if it would run in Virtual XP mode in Win7!

So, I'd suggest you start by identifying the software you want to use (along with information on their website and so on) and the hardware requirements. Frankly, if you are trying to use a machine that's so ancient that it runs PC133 for business use, you're just asking to have it all blow up in your face. You would probably be better off spending the money on some refurb system like these, than wasting time with your current hardware. Not trying to be harsh here, but just how much money do you realistically think you are saving by using some dinosaur as a production machine? Is the time you spend chasing down upgrades for obsolete hardware or watching progress bars creep across the screen profitable?

6. MikevonB

MikevonB Thread Starter

no harshness taken :) appreciate the help !

The computer came with the laser engraver, just scared to try a new machine and get it re-set up

7. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Any of those refurbished Dells is newer than your present machine, and has a warranty; and they all ship with XP. There's no such thing as a painless replacement or upgrade, but the old computer is just a ticking time bomb. The sooner it gets replaced the easier and cheaper it's likely to be.

Of course, if you are using software that would work in Virtual XP mode in a Windows 7 Professional computer that would probably be an even better deal. You would get newer, faster hardware and a better warranty, but it's contingent on your software. As a system builder, I always encourage folks to at least check out the offerings from local shops. You might find some exceptional deals. I just sold three customer computers for repair and storage charges in the past two weeks. Hadn't done that in several years. So, with the present economy, you might find some real bargains. But, I'd still take a quality system from a reputable vendor over most "bargains".

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice