Upgraded to M2 2TB SATA drive, original 512GB drive is gone

Silv3r

I bought and upgraded my PC with a M2 socket, 2TB SATA drive.
Before that i used the regular 512GB SSD SATA drive, so now i have them both installed.
I reinstalled my OS on the M2 and it works perfectly, but my other drive is gone.... i cant see it.
(I DID see it during drive management before windows installation)

So i googled the problem and found that because both drives using SATA, the motherboard disables one of them,
the solution was to use a different SATA connection for my 512GB SSD.

So i opened my case, the original SSD was connected to SATA 2, i changed it to SATA 3, then SATA 4, then SATA 5, and still i cant see it.
So obviously im missing something here, and my guess would be that its some BIOS config.
Could use some help.

MB: Gigabyte Z390 UD

Silv3r

Ok I FIXED IT! WOHOO!
So looks like the SSD "turned" into RAW drive during the re designation when installing the OS
I went into the windows "Disk Management" utility and saw it over there as RAW.
I then right clicked it and selected "FORMAT", and picked NTFS.
Then i right clicked the new formatted NTFS drive and selected "Change Drive letter and Path"
In there i just picked the letter D: for my drive and that it

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Have you restarted the computer to make sure everything is okay?

Hopefully, you didn't also change the drive letter in Disk Management that has the Windows operating system.

-------------------------------------------------

crjdriver

Just a word of advise. When you install on a M.2 drive, it is best to have only that drive installed/connected. Windows setup will install to whatever drive you specify however it will install the boot files to the root of the drive connected to the first sata port. With only the M.2 installed, setup has no choice; it must install all files to the system drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online