1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgradeing to win8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by westiemom, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. westiemom

westiemom Thread Starter

I need some insite so i am asking all of you for help. I have a vista 64 (went 64 so i could run the 4GB ram I have) and my son told me of the deal MS has for upgrading to 8 should I??? The only concern I have right now is i did the 64 bit for the ram...will i have to stay 64 in 8 to see all the ram or can I reinstall the 32 bit of vista and then upgrade to 8 and it see it all. Is it worth even the upgrade? ACK!!!!! I need to read some opinions please..... thanks Need to find out kind of soon as the deal at MS ends 1/31/13

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The easy part: stick with 64-bit if you want to use all or almost all of your 4 GB RAM.

Vista is so annoying that my advice is to upgrade to Windows 8. First run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant (you don't have to buy, just exit out after you get the compatibility info). If you decide to buy I advise to not do an "upgrade" install, but rather choose the "install by media" which allows you to download, create a bootable DVD, and install clean.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

In addition to what my colleague has said with which I entirely agree the deal does end on 31 Jan as you say but you do NOT have to install then.

For the sake of £24.99 I would say download and create the media - on dvd and then if you have not made up your mind by the 31 Jan, you have it at the discounted price and you can install it when you wish.

RAM LIMITS
    Physical Memory Limits: Windows 8

The following table specifies the limits on physical memory for Windows 8.
    Version Limit on X86 Limit on X64
    Windows 8 Enterprise 4 GB 512 GB
    Windows 8 Professional 4 GB 512 GB
    Windows 8 4 GB 128 GB

Just in case the above re ram has confused you I should add, that Windows itself will not actually see all of the 4GB in the 32 bit (X86) and in any case as you have a 64 capability, as my colleague says you may as well use it.

4. westiemom

westiemom Thread Starter

I know with my laptop that has vista 32 when i got it new I had the option of making a dvd install would I not be able to do that after i were to install the upgrade? and if I didn't like it reformat and reinstall the vista? I have seen win7 and was told 8 ir running on its base...right? or something like i could run it as 7 if i wanted to witht he 8 upgrade?

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Make the disc BEFORE the install.
    IT can be made after - but it is NOT as simple
    There is no benefit to NOT doing as we suggest.
    In fact the opposite is true

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice