1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrades for dell?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cstrike1217, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cstrike1217

cstrike1217 Thread Starter

I have had my dell for about 3 years the specs are
    1.5 ghz p4
    dell mobo
    250 ps
    384 mb ram
    40 gb hdd
    ati rage 128
    i plan on transfereing everything to another case but i don't know if this is possible because i have heard the dell motherboard is unmovable. i need a new case because the dell has only 3 fans ps, cpu, exhaust and i need more cooling because even an upgrade to a 9600 it wil freeze up if i ply battlefield or anything.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

None of the Dell boards I've seen will bolt into another case. Also, the power connector on some of the main boards are booby-trapped. Plug in a generic power supply and you may hear an actual bang that precedes the smoke that rises.

This is not a joke. Dell reversed the wiring to punish buyers who use non-Dell parts. The ATX specification stipulates every voltage on every one of those twenty pins in that main board connector. Dell doesn't comply and then they lie about when you ask them if the system is ATX.

There is no way I know of to tell whether yours is one of those with reversed wiring. Some are and some aren't.

3. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

4. Derrick

Derrick

To get more cooling get your jigsaw out and start cutting some holes for fans. If you want you can use an old power supply that sits outside the case and is just used for the extra fans, this way you can add as many as you like and not put any extra strain on the main power supply.

5. Derrick

Derrick

Oh yeah and it also gives you the option to turn off the extra fans when not gaming.

6. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Yeah, keep that case and MOD it.
    2 fans in the side, 1 on top.
    I imagine the 3 fan places you currently have are bottom front, power supply, and back middle.
    You may also want to put a PCI slot fan directly under your video card.
    I did that when I was overclocking one of mine and it worked unbelievable, so I'd just get a PCI exaust fan to see if that will clear it up

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The 9600 may be freezing because of the 250 Watt powersupply, and as you've been warned it may not be a standard powersupply. The connectors for the LEDs and Switches might also need a little more figuring out as they are sometimes unusual on DELL/HP/Compaq boards.

8. cstrike1217

ok so u guys are saying i should mod the case instead and go for cooling first then mod the ps later righT?

9. cstrike1217

10. cstrike1217

also i was wondering if i put in a ps do u guys know if i can upgrade the processor? because itz only 1.5ghz

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's a Socket 423 CPU isn't it? They only go up to 2.0Ghz, not really worth the upgrade. Also what RAM does it use SDRAM, RAMBUS, or DDR?

12. cstrike1217

sdrram pc 133 384mb

13. cstrike1217

how can u tell wat socket the mb is?

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  15. cstrike1217

the socket is 478 put do u think with 250 watt ps i could run a 2.0 ghz p4 with a radeon 9600 and all the other stuff

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223586

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice