1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading a 6 year old HP Pavilion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brite750, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

OK, someone at my wife's work was having pc problems and old HP would randomly and often hard-lock on her and wanted me to look at it. After checking a few things, ram, heatsink, power supply, I told her that without parts i was kind of dead in the water, so I started looking for parts. Ebay seemed to be the only prospect, old AMD slot A MB with pc100 ram, mostly everything was going to be used stuff and she didnt like that so had to look for something else. I ended up finding a socket A MB, Sempron2400+/333 and 512 pc2700 for approx $125. After messing with the HP case awhile we desided to deep six the case I had a spare mini-tower that she could have, fiited with a new 400watt ATX psu. After getting everything together there is only one part left from the HP a cdrw dirve:D

2. davedavid

davedavid

that sounds a little unreasonable, demanding unused parts for a 6 year old machine. I would've just bought whatever, sprayed it with new-car-smell and told her it was brand new! People these days; do them a pain-in-the-butt favor and you still get strange demands. (..and don't kid yourself.. rebuilding older systems gets trickier every day, even with used parts.) Good job on the refit!

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

Do you have a download link for that?

:)

4. mrbreeeeze00

mrbreeeeze00

Could your friends problem not have been solve with a HD format? Was it really hardware issues?

I just did my friends HP Pavillion, Celeron 500, 64M pc100, 10 gig HD. That experience just reinforced ill feelings toward store bought, pre loaded machines. Basically all the parts were ok. The problem was that the machine had probably never been defrag'd and all that good stuff. Also his kids have been on it and they download everything, free smileys and that sort. I let him know that the only thing I could do right now is format his HD and start from scratch so as to keep him going until he can afford a new one. I had an extra 64M stick of pc 100 lying around and a 20GB HDD. I set it up so that the OS and all programs go on the 10GB and all personal files go on the 20GB. Things seem to be running much better now. The thing that baffled me though is that even after explaining how outdated his PC is, he still had a hard time grasping that.

My suggestion to anyone...Do not buy store bought, preloaded machines. Reputable motherboards and full version copies of OS's are so important and definitely the way to go. The savings one might get by purchasing store bought PC's is just not worth it. You get what you pay for! Recovery disks that come with these machines are a joke, IMO.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You know Brite, I actually have access to a Slot A motherboard.

6. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

Oh yeah forgot that part of the story, she had already had someone install a new hdd 80 gigger and do a restore of HP os ME which she didnt want anymore, I reformatted with retail win2000 she had to buy, so lets add it up, hdd $80, mb/cpu/ram $125, psu $55, + what ever win2k was, lots o $$$

7. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

So what did we learn here? 6 year old pc, just dump it and build a new one, you got your use out of it. The problem is she said she spent something like $2500 on it originally so they dont want to give up on them, but at some point you have to cut the friggin cord. My only regret is that if she would have given me a little more time I would have looked into a 754 pin system instead of a Socket A there almost the same price, had no idea that they had gotten that cheap already, but she wanted something NOW and the socket A was my first thought, oh well, the new HP with almost no HP stuff runs great so hopefully she'll be happy with it. I told her next time just give me $500 bucks and I'll build you a decent system, free labor you cant beat it.

8. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

I think I posted the problem and nobody caught it, tell me more about it, the problem is is has to be micro atx to fit the HP case and of course the front panel pinout on the mb is HP std not normal atx. The MB is an Asus K7M but not really a stock one as I found out. As I said they had them on ebay, the MB/750mhz CPU/256mb PC100 for around $30, but she didnt want to go through ebay. I even found a Slot A cpu HSF for it, the HP one had no fan on it. It was an adventure;)

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its not a mirco-ATX, that I know for sure. Gigabtye I think. Its at work

10. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

Just saw off about 2 inches:D anyway, its together, it works, tomorrow is another day. What a pain, I couldnt use the Asus gfx card because no drivers would work with 2000 or lets put it this way the DVD player wouldnt work and I have to think games would play terrible also, found some Asus ones on driver.com but they didnt work either so, OB it is, at least the MB has an agp slot. I told my wife from now on, only new builds, this 6 year old stuff is for the birds.

11. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

Well she didnt demand as such she just didnt want to spend a fortune, if I could have gotton a new Slot A MB to fit her HP case I would have tried that route, but then your possibly looking at a new micro ATX-PS3 HP 250watt replacement psu, std ATX was too big. Working with old parts is always a pain because you never really have full confidence in them and you dont want to be chasing your tail forever trouble shooting, ie I got 2 psuz from my wifes boss for 2 sticks of pc133 ram, guess what they were both dead or dieing, so when I powered up the first time I got no post, that is a sinking feeling.

12. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

Just wanted to point out that oft times an UPGRADE really means a new pc, especially one that old.

13. CDBongo

CDBongo

I know someone who upgraded his 8 year old machine from:
    700mhz celeron
    128mb pc133 ram
    generic graphics card
    20gb hard drive
    dvd/cdrw combo

to

1.4ghz p3 overclocked to 1.8ghz
    1gb pc133 ram
    X800gto agp
    20gb hard drive
    dvd/cdrw combo

he made his upgrade for like $200 and it still runs new games, this computer has lasted him 7 years and will probably still last him another two. everyone told him that it would be a waste of money to upgrade such an old system blah blah blah. But for $200 that is a kick butt computer, i love seing oblivion run on a socket 370 computer!

14. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

but a PIII is still......like really old;) so he had to buy ram, and dump the 128 stick he had no doubt, you usually only get 4 slots at best, a cpu and an agp card for $200, I suppose. My son has a XP2500+/6600GT/1 gig PC3200 and hes still complaining so maybe I should get him a PIII;)

15. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

It was funny I found out i had to get a new psu, so i told my wife to tell her friend the bad news, my wife came back with go buy it but dont spend over $50, so I'm like what psu am i going to get retail at a store for less than $50, she said hold your nose and buy one. So off I went to the local pc shop, they had nothing good so I bought their house brand Qmax 450watt, it was a good configuration for me because the case I'm using is fairly old and really didnt have a rear exhaust port, the fan is one of these with a huge 120mm sucking air from right over the cpu and out the back, but yeah I know...Qmax???, anyway not my rig

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!