1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading a Dell Studio XPS 435MT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lssthnthr3, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lssthnthr3

lssthnthr3 Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I bought this PC about a year or 2 ago and used it for gaming and some amazing multitasking. With new games coming out and others adding new expansions it doesn't quite cut it anymore. I have already added more advanced cooling systems and am waiting for more RAM to show up in the mail, but the main thing I want to do now is add a new Graphics Card and PSU(to power the new graphics). My budget will allow me to spend 200-300 dollars on total. I am a big fan of newegg.com . So I could really use some suggestions on what items to buy to make this happen. One of the major constraints of this PC is the small box size. I cant seem to find out the physical size of say a PSU that would fit into the box without causing any issues. Also say a PSU that would still allow for proper cooling in my system. Here is what I do know about my PC:

http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=2sz66j1

Thanks so much!

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

I have the same PC. I upgraded the power supply with a ThermalTake 850W (http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1329&ID=1855) and the video card with a AMD HD5870. I also swapped out the 6x1GB RAM chips for 2GB ones; now I have 12 GB. I also replaced the DVD drive with a Blu-Ray drive. I haven't run across a single game that this PC won't run. It's slightly better than my Laptop (Asus G73jh), but the Dell has a faster i7 processor.

3. lssthnthr3

Awesome!! Thanks so much!! Its nice that someone who has the same pc saw this. Thats a beasty PCU but I guess that means i wont have any future problems. Is that video card the next step up from what I have now? Is there any other suggestions you have in the graphics department? Maybe something that just came out recently?

4. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

It's actually several steps up. The one in your system now is an HD 4850 w/512MB RAM. It's pretty good (it does play CoD:Black Ops fine), but can be improved.

By the way, the RAM in the system is 1033MHz. It does work with 1333MHz speed and the board supports it, but the documentation doesn't. The 12GB I now have is 1333MHz speed.

5. lssthnthr3

Oh yah thats a sweet Graphics card. Might be a touch pricey at around 250. Anything a little cheaper. Also my model only came with 4gb of 1066 ram. Can i still get the 1333?

6. lssthnthr3

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!