1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading a Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlexStarkiller, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlexStarkiller

AlexStarkiller Thread Starter

I just got a new laptop, a new edition of the Dell Inspiron 15, and while it's a great laptop, it's video card isn't up to par for anything. I've been looking around, searching for anything that might help me figure out how to upgrade, what video card would work, and if my laptop will even handle an improved video card, let alone if it's able to fit or if I need to try doing that externally, and I can't find enough information on any of that. My budget's currently enough for a decent video card, up to $200, so I would think that's not a problem.

Since I'm technologically inept, I hope there is someone that can help me know if upgrading is even a possibility.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

is this your new laptop http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-3521/pd ? Upgrading the Graphics except on some higher end models is not really possible. The Graphics Controller is embedded on the motherboard. Generally your upgrade options on a laptop is usually limited to increasing the Ram or a hard drive upgrade. If you are saying that the Graphics won't handle gaming, most laptops are not designed as gaming computers. And those that are are actually very expensive for that reason.

3. AlexStarkiller

AlexStarkiller Thread Starter

Basically. Mine's a model with an i5 processor, 6GB RAM and 1TB of Hard Drive, but it's basically the same. Here are the specs anyway: OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6009 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 940269 MB, Free - 900851 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0G8TPV
    I should have known I wouldn't be able to game, but thanks anyway.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082389