Solved Upgrading and need advice on cloning old drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vette8182

I am replacing the guts on my computer and would like to keep my current operating system ect. Is it possible to backup my hard drive and just reinstall it to the new setup or do I have to start all over and purchase a new Windows 10 OS??

This is what I have:
My computer has the following:

CAS: Apevia X-Trooper Junior LED Light Mid-Tower Case w/ Side Window
CD: Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+3] (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+24] (BLACK COLOR)
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-960 3.20 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer [+10] (BLACK COLOR)
HDD: 750GB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-5] (Single Hard Drive)
IEEE_CARD: None
KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Kingston HyperX)
MOTHERBOARD: * (3-Way SLI Support) Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA-III RAID w/ 7.1Audio,GbLAN,IEEE1394a,USB3.0,SATA-III,RAID,3 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI
MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
NCSW: None
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OS: * Microsoft(R) Windows 10 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply [+14]
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

My upgrade:
CPU : AMD Black Edition FX-8300 8-Core Socket AM3-Plus 95W Desktop Processor
Heatsink: Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition Liquid CPU Cooler (CW-9060010-WW)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory F3-1600C9Q-32GXM
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling w/ Free Installed Backplate Graphics Card 04G-P4-3967-KR
HDD: Seagate 2TB Desktop Gaming SSHD(Solid State Hybrid Drive) SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST2000DX001)

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You will have to get a new OS, the differences between the old and new hardware are too great for the old OS to work on the upgraded PC, the drivers will be different.

vette8182

Okay, ill get a new OS. Additional ? Can i still use the old hard drive to transfer files and programs while installed in the motherboard as a 2nd drive or does it have to be formatted to work?

Yes...you can do that. The key is to install new drive and install new OS first....then power down and insert old drive and power up and then you can start coping over what you want.

Once all data is copied and anything else saved.....I would then format it and then use it as a storage drive. Just to keep it clean and fresh so no chance of bugs/corruption that could still be lurking on the drive.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Usually you can't just copy program files over and expect the program to work, you have to re-install them, so make sure you have the serial keys if you have software you paid for before formatting that hard drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online