Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrading because I have to and could use some advice

Solved 
2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
I have a Lenovo 510A-15ABR Desktop Computer. The hard drive, I think crashed (it got stuck in a boot loop, tried resolving the issue, and it made it worse.)
Was thinking of just replacing the hard drive and reinstalling everything and just doing Windows 10 and my software (word processing, etc.) Am just wondering about compatibility issues with a new hard drive, etc. I know enough tech stuff to be dangerous! Or would I be better off taking the machine into the Lenovo tech approved center and letting them reinstall the Lenovo software and repair the computer? Thoughts?

#3 ·
If you plan to replace the 3.5" SATA hard disk drive(HDD) in your Lenovo, you should replace it with a 2.5" SATA solid state drive(SSD).
Besides not having any moving parts to wear out and fail, a SSD will make your Lenovo run faster and snappier.
As already stated in post #2, the same power and data SATA cable connections can be used.
Also, do a clean re-install of Windows 10 64-bit and get a fresh start.
Re-install your desired third party apps afterwards.
(y)

-------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
It is easy to replace the HDD with an SSD IMO I would look at 1TB if the budget allows.
You could use this site to see if you can get Lenovo recovery media - could be free
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/lenovorecovery?linkTrack=Body:Box:RecoveryMedia

If not then use windows 10 - will be free
Then download the windows 10 tool - Minimum 8gig USB required

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10
and use that to reinstall windows.

Have only one drive connected

*** NB A reinstall will delete all data from the drive***

Here is an excellent youtube video on how to install win 10 from usb
How To Install Windows 10 From USB - YouTube

Before doing any install, it is a good idea to go to the support page for your system. Download the drivers you are going to need ie chipset, sound, video, wireless, etc. While win10 has a lot of native drivers, microsoft drivers are designed for ease of use and are NOT designed for any type of performance. Store these drivers on another usb or you can even just make a folder on your install usb when you are finished making the install usb. Copy the drivers into that folder.

When you are finished with the install, then install your drivers. Install the chipset first then the rest of them. Reboot each time when prompted.

This is the site for drivers (USA) if that's where you live
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...0-series/510-15abr/90g7/downloads/driver-list

#7 ·
Thanks for all the info. I feel empowered now! I guess my second question would be ~ any suggestions on the best hard drive (SSD)? I have been going on line looking at the reviews, and of course, I always go to the one star reviews first and it is really a confusing mess, not knowing which ones are legit and which ones are there because someone was ticked off ~ I am thinking the 1TB SSD will probably be my go to. Suggestions?

#8 ·
Stick with a name brand ssd; either samsung or WD. Both have cloning software available for download if you want to clone your old drive. Personally, I would just clean install the operating system, drivers, and whatever software you use however that is up to you.

#10 · (Edited)
It depends. M.2 is a format ie how something is designed. There are M.2 sata drives that are no faster than a 2.5" sata drive AND there are M.2 nvme drives that are up to 10x faster than a 3.5" drive. Do understand that just because you have a M.2 slot does NOT mean it supports all drives based on that format.

#14 ·
Ramon is correct. You need to find out if your motherboard supports nvme drives. When I looked up specs on your system, [I believe] it showed a M.2 slot. As stated in post #10, just because you have a M.2 slot does not mean it supports all drives based on said slot.

#15 ·
Hey Everybody ~ just wanted to thank you all for your excellent support while I have been pulling my hair out trying to work through this. I went out and purchased the WD Black 1TB NVMe SSD M.2 drive. Removed the hard drive, and plugged the drive in to the mother board. The M.2 drive was immediately recognized by the Bios, used the Windows Repair Key to boot the computer, it automatically formatted the drive and partitions, and am currently reinstalling Windows 10. You all are great !!!!

#16 ·
You are welcome. For future reference, you are able to mark your own thread as solved using the button at the upper left of the page. No need for this one, I will mark it for you.

I have that same drive in my bench system. Works great. You should download and install the WD nvme dashboard. This will check for firmware updates, monitor drive health, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.