1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MAndrie, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MAndrie

MAndrie Thread Starter

I'm attempting to upgrade my BIOS. The motherboard is an ABIT-VL6. The OS is Windows 2000 Professional. I know I need to do the following:

1 - boot up with a boot disk from a floppy

2 - after a clean boot into DOS, execute the BIOS upgrade executable program on another floppy disk (we'll call it BIOS upgrade floppy).

3 - execute the flash BIOS executable file also contained on the BIOS upgrade floppy.

4 - shut down the computer.

5 - remove floppy disk.

6 - clear CMOS data. There is a CMOS jumper near the battery. Change the jumper position from default 1-2 to 2-3 for one minute to discharge the CMOS data, then put it back to default
    1-2.

7 - turn on computer, hit "delete" to enter BIOS set-up page to do correct settings.

DONE.

Now, my problem is this: I am unable to put together a boot disk on that computer (windows 2000 pro). How do I make a boot disk? I even tried using a boot disk I made from my other computer (windows 98). But, when I attempted to use it in the computer in question, the computer wouldn't recognize any files on that floppy disk.

Am I missing something here?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) put a floppy in the drive
    2) open a command prompt (start, run, cmd, enter)
    3) type "Format A: /s" without the quotes.

this will make a bootable diskette.

copy your bios flash files to the diskette.

enter your bios to make sure that your first boot option is set on floppy.

reboot with floppy in machine and follow Motherboard manufacturers flash instructions when you get to the A: prompt.

EDIT:

If that doesnt work, then we need to know the error message you receive....not sure what you mean by doesnt recognize files on the disk.

3. MAndrie

MAndrie Thread Starter

I tried the steps suggested. A black screen (looked like it might have been a DOS screen) pops up momentarily. I was very quick. And then it disappeared. You can't see what it displays. Nothing happens after that. Nothing is transferred to the floppy drive. No error messages, nothing...

What next?

4. skylinedo

skylinedo

Can you still boot Windows?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Go here and download a boot disk just for flashing your bios. Bios flashing should be done without any memory mgrs running.
    http://bootdisk.com/
    You can put the bios update file on the boot floppy; as I recall with abit boards you run the exe file and it will decompress then put those files on the floppy. Type runme at the A> and the update starts.

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

start, run, cmd, enter should have opened a dos box that stayed open until you closed it.

that is where you would type the format commands.....or as crjdriver said, you could just download a boot disk.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Funny, that doesn't work on my Windows 2000. ;) This is a proper technique for W98, but you need to obtain a boot disk by other means with W2K.

8. Jtoast

Jtoast

hehe yea....sorry bout that....got my forum windows mixed up :D....gonna have to quit surfing the board at work.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice