1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading case or GPU of Acer Aspire x3810

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jankons, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jankons

jankons Thread Starter

http://www.gadgetfolder.com/acer-aspire-x3810-excellent-mini-pc-specs.html
    As you can see it has a low profile case.
    At the moment I can only fit small graphics cards into it, so basically how "tall" the gpu can be is cut in half since the wideness of the case is so small, as you can see just looking at the front. I deduced this by trying to fit my geforce 6200 into it, didn't fit because its too tall.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some links of some relatively powerful GPU's that would fit into my case, if you can't find anything higher than a 9800 then don't bother, I want to be able to play Mass Effect 2 and Battlefield 3 on all high.

So if thats the case, then I'm wondering if anybody here could help me find out my motherboard size? Because I don't want to buy a new case and than find out my MB wont even fit in there. I don't know much about compatibility between MB's and Cases, does it even matter? Should I just buy any bigger case and it should fit? Or am I in big trouble because its an ACER computer and the MB might not be a "common" form factor?

And on top of that I have another problem, I have a "wireless network" card in there, I think thats what you call it. And its a small size, so if I get a bigger case then it wont fit because of the..... thingy (The silver platting on the card that you screw onto the case) that connects to the back of the case.

Sorry for just pouring all this info onto you guys but I think I'm in some big trouble. I now fear for my future as a PC gamer

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    This is only an example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187061 A low Profile card may fit.

As far as Cases go any case that would accept an mATX motherboard should work. If you do migrate the Motherboard to a new case remember that you will have to take the rear IO Shield to the new case as well.

3. jankons

jankons Thread Starter

Omg thanks man. Should I expect any cons from a low profile sparkle card? Or is it relatively the same to a normal 9800 GT by other manufacturers??????
    But the silver platting looks like its too tall, or is it not? This might sound crazy, but you think it would be ok if I just cut the silver platting in half???? I'm just hoping it fits inside my case. This will be a bit hard to explain, but because the PCIe x16 slot is at the very far end of the MB, its closest to the bottom part of my case, so the fan might get in the way, but I'll try that I guess. And also, how power hungry is this? Doesn't really say how much power it requires. I only have a 220 watt PSU, I'll need to upgrade that too probably. What do you recommend?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I just used that as an example of low profile cards. There are better ones out there, just have to shop for brand and price (if that is a concern).

5. jankons

jankons Thread Starter

yeah i might get the GTS 250
    but around that range what PSU do u recommend?

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you are changing cases then I would suggest any Quality Branded Power supply, such as from Enermax, Corsair, OCZ, Antec, PC Power and Cooling, Thermaltake with sufficiant amperage on the +12VDC rails. such as this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

But if you are maintaining the original case, you may have to go with a power supply that is different than a Standard Sized ATX power supply to fit the case.

7. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Trying to upgrade your machine could well cause more problems and cost more than it's worth. One of the basic issues is that your motherboard may just not be designed to support the power requirements of whatever video card you want to run.

By the time you buy a case, a power supply, a video card, go through the hassle of trying screw it all together, or the expense of paying someone to do it, you'll have more than bought a computer and probably still have a machine that doesn't perform to the standards you want. Either buy a new machine, or build one.

8. jankons

jankons Thread Starter

Well a case usually is only about 50 bucks. Now the PSU and video-card may be a problem, but tbh I don't think thats going to surpass the price of a PC I would even consider building. Because right now it looks like about 300 dollars tops if I upgrade the case too. But I'll be getting a family friend to help me with the case and PSU if not then just the PSU.

9. jankons

jankons Thread Starter

Ok, but I need some more help.
    I have a low profile wireless network pcie card in side my current case, can I safely say that for sure It wont fit in a mid-tower???
    Or can I do something to make it fit?
    Or should I buy a new wireless network card? (It connects to my wireless adapter)

10. jankons

jankons Thread Starter

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!