1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Computer--What can I do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by klg, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. klg

klg Thread Starter

:confused: I am wanting to upgrade my computer, how do I know what I have and what I can upgrade on it?

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

Tell us about your system, mobo ps, memory, Mfg ect

3. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

First step is to post what you have now, then we take it from there..Are you running XP ?? Do you have a puter Model number,, a Dell, eMachine, HP ??

4. klg

klg Thread Starter

E Machines W2828
    2800+ sempron
    80GB
    256 MB RAM

5. klg

klg Thread Starter

ALso says on front S3 unichrome 3D slot available

6. mb90078

mb90078

Well, it seems you have one slot open on your motherboard for RAM. You could fill that up with some RAM to start.

Some people may suggest a new computer altogether.

7. klg

klg Thread Starter

So do I need to take it somewhere or can I just go buy the RAM and put it in the slot. What about the 3D card.

8. frankjohn

frankjohn

for what reason do you want to upgrade?

9. mb90078

mb90078

It's probably something you should be able to do yourself... But it will require some work and a lot of precaution. You'll have to familiarize yourself with your computer's case (how to open it properly) and the motherboard. The actual placing of the RAM in the slot isn't all that difficult. As for precautions you'll have to take, the most important are to be sure that there are no static shocks that occur when installing it, and also ensuring that you don't damage the part of the RAM that connects to the motherboard. But I would definitely recomend doing it yourself (after reading up on it a lot -- try searching the web for guides on installing RAM) rather than taking it in. Oh, and you'll have to make sure you get the right speed/type of ram.

I'm really not sure what a S3 UniChrome 3D Graphics is, so I can't really tell you much about the graphics side of things. The process will be a little more difficult than the RAM installation, still possible to do yourself though.

10. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Are you sure it's a W2828.. All I see on www.crucial.com for your model is W2888..No W2828...

11. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Google is your friend:
    http://tinyurl.com/dgrx5

12. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

13. Advancer

Advancer

The most easy way is, find out what kinda parts you using? and does your mainboard offer any upgrade? and the limitation. say your RAM Max up to 2GB or 4GB? What kinda 3D card to use on? AGP 8X /PCI-E?, you can find this in Google with your M/B model. If you need to upgrade the PC urself, just make sure you have discharge your body static before u do any upgrade (especially RAM) by touching the PWS w/grounded. And yet make sure you know your machine well..

14. klg

klg Thread Starter

Crucial.com shows i have MSI (micro star) model MS-7061 (KM4AM-V), AMD Sempron 2800+, 1999MHz, Front side bus speed 167 MHz, 256 MB non parity DDR PC3200, max capacity of 2048 MB memory, total memory slots 2, 1 available,

184 pin DIMM banking 2, chipset VIA unichrome KM400A DDR SDRAM frequencies PC1600, PC2100, PC2700, PC3200, error detection support non ECC only graphics support AGP 8X max unbuffered DDR SDRAM 2048 MB Module types supported Unbuffered only, supported DRAM types DDR SDRAM only USB 2.x compliant

I am just wanting to upgrade so my kids can use some of their games. I know, for gaming we need a better computer but this is what we have for now and I want to do what i can with it, for a while at least.

15. brite750

brite750

if you have an 8x agp slot that will help a lot, there are many decent gfx cards out there for agp still, a very good one would be nvidia 6600GT about $125 to $175, if you want a cheaper on let us know. You will no doubt need ram very badly 256 is nothing if youre talking about games, however because you have two slots, you will have to think about whether you keep your current 256 and add to it or just get 2 512 sticks, it would be nice to end up with a gig of ram total, of course it would be PC3200 DDR400

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!