Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrading Computer

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  gmanwill 
#1 ·
I am looking to upgrading my computer and going from win98se to XP. The is what I am looking at, any suggestions?

Mother Board Asus A7N8X
CPU AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton 400FSB 512 Cashe
Ram Two Crucial 512mb DDR PC 3200 CL-3 non-ECC
Video Card Asus NVIDIA GeForce FX
DVI/TV-Out, 8X V9520-X/TV/128
DVD Burner Lite-On 16X DVD DualDrive
SOHW-1633S
I have 2 hard drives, CD Rom and an Enlight case with a 300w power supply.

#3 ·
i would suggest a bigger PSU -350w minimum for a PSU + i would go with a better graphics card .. most likely you will be upgrading very soon after buying that 1 ,, go with the ATI Radeon 9800 pro 256DDR..it's more expensive . but look at it in the long haul .Especially if your a gamer ..
cheers m8.

#5 ·
Bigger PSU...........Nice , dependable pack here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-604&depa=0

As for video................... I'd prefer a Sapphire 9600SE or plain 9600:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-325&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-289&depa=0

More cooling.......add an 80mm fan to the bottom front of the case(sucking in) and "maybe" another 80mm in the rear(blowing out), or a slot exhaust fan blowing out. That's a lot of hot components in a small area! :

Mother Board Asus A7N8X
CPU AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton 400FSB 512 Cashe
Ram Two Crucial 512mb DDR PC 3200 CL-3 non-ECC
Video Card Asus NVIDIA GeForce FX
DVI/TV-Out, 8X V9520-X/TV/128
DVD Burner Lite-On 16X DVD DualDrive
SOHW-1633S
I have 2 hard drives, CD Rom and an Enlight case

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for the reply.
I was looking at the 420w PS from Enlight.
The only graphics I do are pictures of the Grandkids, the only games I do are solitaire and marjon. I just need a video card that just gives me good color. The model No. I looked at was V9520-X/TD/128.
StillLearnin', I'll look at the links you gave me. Newegg is where I picked out what I am looking at. I am not only "still learnin", I am "relearning"

Thanks Again for the replys.

#9 ·
"I just need a video card that just gives me good color. The model No. I looked at was V9520-X/TD/128."

I just figured for the same amount of money, on using a much better card regardless.......................................The clock speed is higher and therefore ALL graphics will be better. The ATI-based cards are better than the Nvidia based 5200 series by a long ways. In your defense, the Asus cards are great cards ..............some people have trouble configuring them to work properly though.................

#10 ·
StillLearnin, I have decided to go with the video card you suggested, I am going to drop back to 512mb of ram, I can always add more if I need to.
Can you suggest where I can get a good study on tweaking and getting around in XP Pro? I am use to 98 and can get around very well, and I know they changed some names and places where you find things in XP.

Thanks!

#11 ·
Hi,you may want to check out the post-liteon dvdrw causing sound conflict-and Mrabduls comments regarding liteon dvd burners.

hope you find this helpful, gmanwill. :up:

#12 ·
gmanwill, Thanks for the reply. I found the post, sounds a little fishy, the guy had a problem and didn't really try to find out what the problem was, and sold it to a FRIEND. I hope I don't have any friends like him.
I couldn't find "Mrabduls comment" you referred to.

Thank Again.

#13 ·
yes,as you say who needs friends like that. :down:

mrabduls comment was the first reply to that post,he says liteon dvd burners suck but their dvd roms are o.k. :)

gmanwill

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.