1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ccraig1, Feb 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ccraig1

ccraig1 Thread Starter

I have a Gateway g6-350 computer I am looking to do some upgrading to if possible. I am wondering what it is I need to do to make this possible. Below I will post my computer info from the Belarc Advisor program which i hope can help. Do I need a new motherboard and processor or can I just change the processor? Thanks.

Board: Intel Corporation MP440BX AA698435-301
    Serial Number: IMMP83801721
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Intel Corp. 4M4PB0X1.15A.0018.P09 07/22/98

2. Sponsor

3. brianF

brianF

Can't find any info on upgradability of system. I think it would be wise to email gateway and see if they will give you the information on a cpu upgrade.
    As far as motherboard you have to be careful, most gateway components are proprietary and a standard motherboard may or may not fit in the case. I would think that it would support a P3 but no info available that I could find.

4. LarryCore

LarryCore

The Intel 440BX chipset is certainly capable of handling a P3, but that doesn't mean the rest of the board is...

As brian said, the only way to be sure is to get the info on your motherboard from Gateway. Or, perhaps you could get the actual numbers off the board (open the case and look) - sometimes that is enough for us to track down who made it and what it can do.

5. ccraig1

ccraig1 Thread Starter

Ok I will try both emailing Gateway (good luck) and see what numbers are on the board if I can find them. I did see one number in white lettering that was e139761 and their were in a different spot a reverse R and a U next to it which I have no idea.
    -Time to go get a hold of gateway and I will get back to you, Thanks!

6. Kento

Kento

According to this page your Intel MP440BX motherboard supports all current Pentium II processor speeds, voltages, and bus frequencies and supports up to 384MB of memory. Read what it says there about a quarter of the way down. But definately contact Gateway and see what they say before doing anything because your board has been modified by them and they should be able to give you more info on upgrading. That board isn't even listed at Intels site because they don't support boards that are modified by pc makers like Gateway so contacting Intel would be of no help.

[This message has been edited by Kento (edited 02-15-2001).]

7. RandyG

RandyG

The US Gateway site does not have it, but the UK and Irish Gateway sites do. It is called the upgrader, and you enter your BIOS, and it will give you info on your Gateway computer.

UK
    Ireland

On either site, go to Tech Support, and then Desktop. On the left navigation, you will see The Upgrader.

BOL

[This message has been edited by RandyG (edited 02-16-2001).]

8. ccraig1

ccraig1 Thread Starter

I will try those sites. This is the responce that Intel gave me:

Hello Craig,

Thank you for your e-mail. I understand that you want to know who makes
    the motherboard that is in your computer. It is an Intel Pentium II
    motherboard.

Thank you.

Kane
    Online Client Support Team
    Gateway

--- Obviously they failed to continue to answer my question. Thanks for the continuing help guys!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/35309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice