1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading computer.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by dabombson, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dabombson

dabombson Thread Starter

Hey everybody,

First of all, my current specs:

-1.5ghz Processor (Amd Sempron 2200+)
    -512mb of RAM
    -GeForce4 MX 4000

This is what I wish to get

-Processor
    -Memory
    -GraphicsCard

Is this adequate to play recent games? Which would increase my preformance more? Any reccomendations?

2. Andraxion

Andraxion

That is actually a pretty good setup there. Usually processor power in games is not needed as much as RAM or Video Memory. I am running World of Warcraft on..
    Intel Celeron 2.7GHZ
    Intel OnBoard 64MB Graphics Card
    512MB RAM

The graphics card lags a bit but other than that I have the settings all maxed out. So if you want to spend money on more parts maybe for future games to come, it wont hurt but it wont make it that much better really.

3. InfernoReaper

InfernoReaper

how much do you have to spend?

4. dabombson

dabombson Thread Starter

200$ ish

5. InfernoReaper

InfernoReaper

I guess those items would be adequate for the amount of money

just make sure it is all compatible with your system

6. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

What about your motherboard? I think you're on Socket A right now, and looking to go to Socket AM2.

7. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I think the only thing you can do for games in that price range is get a good AGP graphics card.
    Just sink the $200 there and enjoy. Maybe double the RAM. The grapgics card is where your main bottle neck lies though.

8. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

You're not going to be able to run games like Oblivion on that system, even with a new graphics card, you'll need a processor and RAM upgrade too.

9. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

But $200 dollars isn't going to cut it for RAM CPU and graphics card.

10. dabombson

dabombson Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's everyone!

Which one(s) is more important?

11. Yakiba

Yakiba

First off, if you want to play some of the newer games, i.e. CoD2/3, Oblivion, F.E.A.R. whatever, the best thing is to buy a new computer. You can only upgrade so much but the motherboard will still be the same, unless you upgrade the mobo. Well, let's assume you're not replacing the mobo. If you want hi-res graphics then the easiest way to do that is with a motherboard that's got PCI-Express. If you're the hardcore gaming type. Of course, that's gonna cost you big $$. $200 dollars isn't going to cut it when you need more RAM, faster CPU and a graphics card.

What $200 dollars will get you is a decent 256 MB graphics card. You can find a deal here or there for that amount. Also, if your mobo is limited to 4x AGP, your 8x graphics card will be limited to 4x. Just FYI, I know someone who was expecting 8x speed and only got
    4x 'cause he didn't know the limitations of his motherboard.

With a better more powerful graphics card, be aware that some have huge power requirements. You might have to upgrade your PSU. Check out the voltage requirements for the card and see what type of power output your PSU gives. If the PSU shows one thing and the card requirements are higher, then you need to upgrade that as well if you wish to use that specific card. Although, I hear that some of the newer cards are less power hungry than the previous ones. Don't quote me on that. Hope this helps!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!