1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by haon94, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haon94

haon94 Thread Starter

I am thinking of upgrading my Compaq (667 Celeron 512RAM) with another proc.

I want to have a PIII or PIV and over 1.gig hrtz

Does anyone havbe a guess on cost and how hard it will be to do?

Thanks

2. WarC

WarC

First you need to make sure if that motherboard of yours will seat something like a 1ghz+ processor. That will make a world of difference in terms of difficulty and cost. It might cost as little as 120-150 dollars for that processor if you shop around, and only require you to pop out that old processor and heatsink. But, if the motherboard doesn't support your new processor, you'll have to buy another motherboard, which will cost you a good 100-150 plus the processor cost. Also, installing a motherboard is a big project if your sorta new, as I suspect you might be. I recently had a bad time with a motherboard (eeeh...we won't reflect on that). However, make sure you get decent cooling for that beast!

3. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

You certainly can't put a Pentium 4 processor on that board. Whether or not you can install a Pentium III depends on the motherboard.

4. stanggt2

stanggt2

for the best prices on what you decide go to www.pricewatch.com if you decide to go with a p-4 motherboard and cpu make sure you have enough power from your power supply I would go with 300 watt or better

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!