1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading CPU and RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RayW, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RayW

RayW Thread Starter

My windows experience index score is a 4.0 based on my CPU which is
    an Intel Core Duo CPU T9500 @2.6 GHZ . I am looking to upgrade this and my 4.00 GB of Ram (4.1 WEI) How much can I add? How do I know what CPU I could upgrade to?
    I have several demanding programs running from the web to facilitate my Stock trading . Can I add more RAM to help this problem or do I need a new CPU?. Can't tell what motherboard I have but I am running Vista Ultimate 32-bit. The other windows experience index scores are all above 5.0 up to 5.9 . Acpi x86 based Thanks for any help...

2. MarkHaigh

MarkHaigh

Vista 32-bit can't use more than 4GB RAM. But you're probably not using anywhere near that anyway (unless you're doing heavy photo/video editing type stuff). Have a look in Task Manager while using your PC to see how much memory is in use.

It might be possible to upgrade your CPU, but that really does depend on your motherboard. There are various tools to identify your motherboard without opening the case, but I've found CPU-Z pretty cool before:-
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

3. MarkHaigh

MarkHaigh

Also, I wouldn't put too much value in the Windows Experience Score... how well you feel the machine is running is a far more useful index.

4. RayW

RayW Thread Starter

Thanks
    My CPU usage varies from 16% to 64% and Physical memory is at 60%
    Physical Memory
    Total 3069
    Cached 1704
    Free 40
    Kernel Memory
    total 267
    paged 154
    nonpaged 112
    Many times memory becomes maxed out and computer hangs. I can't run all the necessary programs I want to at once.

5. MarkHaigh

MarkHaigh

If it's hanging as in locking up completely and not recovering, more memory is unlikely to help. That sounds like a bug with something on the machine consuming all the memory (possible 'memory leak' in that program). If you look in the 'Processes' tab of 'Task Manager' you can see how much memory different things are using - when things get slow does one thing stand out as hogging huge amounts?

But if it is hanging as in getting really slow then more memory may be the answer. When memory runs out, the computer starts using hard drive space to cope - e.g. stuff in memory that isn't being used at the moment can get temporarily stored to disk, causing it to respond slowly if you switch back to that application.

If you do end up needing more memory, you'd need to switch OS to a 64 bit version. Windows Vista 32 bit, and Windows 7 32 bit can only use 4GB. 64 bit Vista can use up to 128GB, 64 bit Windows 7 can use up to 192GB. But you would need to look into compatibility of running your programs under the 64 bit version.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!