1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading CPU In a Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by defLemonKid, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. defLemonKid

defLemonKid Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop.
    I am trying to run Pro Tools but i keep getting inturrpt errors as my CPU isnt fast enough.
    What do i need to look for when upgrading my CPU?? Is it even possible???

2. Sponsor

3. By_Rock

By_Rock

What is your current CPU now?

4. defLemonKid

Its the pentium Dual T2370 1.73GHz

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Laptop processors are minimally upgradeable if at all. Also, it appears Windows Vista is not supported either. That could certainly be causing random errors.

6. defLemonKid

Where did u find the info on the vista support for the chip??

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

8. defLemonKid

I can run the latest version on my machine but i get an "interrupts were help off for too long error" because the CPU is too slow( at least 2GHz recomended) This doesnt crash the program but it does cause it to stop either the playback or recording(depending on what you are doing at the time) this makes it useless as i need it for audio edit/recording. Which is why i'd like to upgrade the CPU(upgrading the entire machine is finantiallly unfeasable for me at the moment)

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's more to a processor than raw clock speed. Before sinking any money into the laptop, take a good look at the system requirements for whatever software/hardware you're looking to use.

You might be able to squeeze a little more processor speed out of the chipset you have, but it involves completely dismantling the laptop which can be daunting if you haven't done it before. Then, of course, you need steady hands and some good thermal compound and probably an external fan / cooling system, since it's possible that the stock fans might not be able to cool the new processor sufficiently.

10. defLemonKid

i've got 4Gb of ram which is plenty(1Gb recomended) the major stumbling block is the CPU speed as the system requirments are at least 2GHz,

Would it be possible to squeeze enough out of the 1.7 i have to compensate for this, and if so how would i go about it.
    I have quite a bit of experience inside PCs but none with laptops.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Seriously, this is like pulling teeth. There are a bunch of apps on Digidesign's website. I'm not going to go through them all and guess. Look at the system requirements for whatever you're using and see if your system is up to the task.

You can't overclock the laptop, so there's nothing you can do to make it faster. You'd still be right on the edge of the system requirements anyway. If you're not comfortable taking apart the entire laptop on the off chance you might get this one program working and could very well end up with a very nice Dell paperweight, you don't have any options.

Low-end consumer laptops are not designed for high-end multimedia tasks. Before buying a new system, make sure you're getting what you need to get the most of the applications and tasks that are important to you.

12. defLemonKid

Sorry, i dont mean to be a pain or waste your time or anythin. i guess i didnt fully understand what u ment about getting a little more processor speed out of the chipset and got a little of track.
    My prob only arose in the first place because it was a replacement machine under the original waranty and the software/hardware i was running was well within the capabilities of my old XP machine which would run the 7.3 version of Protools LE which isnt supported by Vista and its just the newer 7.4 version requires the faster CPU hence the need for an upgrade.

13. Classics

Classics

Reinstall XP is always an option. But then again tracking down an OEM of XP could be a challenge.

14. defLemonKid

Is it a big job to downgrade the system to XP?? Was reading a few forums on it and it seems like a few people have been having nightmares with drivers for there hardware

15. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Check the manufacturer's website to make sure they have XP drivers available for everything and download them to CD or flash drive before attempting a downgrade to XP.

16. defLemonKid

I found the xp driver download page for my machine. Do i just throw them all onto a CD nd install XP or do i have to format the HDD first or anything?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754304