1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading cpu/mobo and cant install windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jaguar_wsc, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaguar_wsc

jaguar_wsc Thread Starter

Ok i upgraded my cpu/mobo from intel to AMD. When i tried booting up it gave me a blue screen saying that its going to shut down to prevent damage to my computer and yada yada yada then at the bottom gave me a STOP error. I figure it was problems with drivers from mobo to mobo. so i tried to format the partition of the hdd using my XP cd and during installation of windows that same error comes back up. Is the hdd bad? Am i doing something wrong? Should i fdisk the hdd and format? i figured just fdisking it using a win 98 boot disk would fix it. Maybe the mbr is screwed up? what gives here? any suggestions? Please help me out.

2. mobo

mobo

First be absolutely certain that the heatsink and fan are installed properly and working. Then reseat your ram followed by checking that all connections are tight...Then you may want to do a complete fdisk delete and create a partition,reboot, format then reinstall.

3. MrBillPro

MrBillPro

If your using XP and you did the swap,it does not like hardware changes especially of that nature you will either have to run repair or format and reinstall XP.

4. jaguar_wsc

Like i said. i DID format and tried reinstalling... but during setup after format, that same error comes up.

Im going to try what mobo said and fdisk, partition, format, and install windows again. If that doesnt work i guess ill try a new hdd. if that doesnt work im out of ideas.

5. dai

dai

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First check your hardware; download and run a ram tester, download and run the hd mgf's utility for checking the drive. If both check out ok, then boot with your xp cd [cd set as first boot device in the bios] Delete your partition and create one. If you want more than one partition, then create one of the size you want. The rest will be created using disk management after you are up and running. Format with ntfs and setup will continue. There is no need for fdisk, or any win9x boot disk; everything is done from xp's setup program.

You are trying to install from an xp disk rather than a recovery type of disk that comes with most computers correct?

One more thought, make sure your ps is up to running the new board. It should be at least 350W and a quality mgf; not one of the 500W $25.00 power supplies.

7. jaguar_wsc

when i start it up, it does the memory test and checks out to 256mb. Its just when windows should start loading, the blue screen comes up. So its not the ram i dont think. but i havnt tried a utility from maxtor to check the hdd. ill look into that. But why would i need to format with ntfs? i thought i was supposed to use fat.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The memory test you are referring to does not completely check the memory. It only checks that is there and installed. A complete test of the memory takes hours; I let it run all night. Ram, power supply, and to a lesser extent hd; cause most of the install problems with xp and win2k.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

NTFS is the native file system for nt based os and [imo] should be used. XP and win2k can use fat file systems, however I think you get a more stable, fault tolerant system with ntfs.

10. jaguar_wsc

how do i know if the power supply is good enough? i went from an old 300mhz celeron to an overclocked amd cpu using the same power supply. could that be the reason why windows wont install without that error?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That might be the reason right there. First return all settings to stock, then try to boot / install. Some quality ps are Antec, Enermax, Enlight, Coolmax; there are others, howerver those are the ones I use in my builds. Look at your ps; if it is made by foxxcon, deer, allied, powmax, do yourself a favor and dump it.

One good indication of a ps quality is weight. Go to a local computer store and see how heavy an Antec or Enermax ps is. Now lift your ps and see if it near the same.

12. jaguar_wsc

i got an antec. how do i return the settings to normal? do i mess with the jumpers that are on the mobo?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most overclocks up the fsb and or the multiplier. An overclocked fsb can result in data corruption; therefore loss of data during an install.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It sounds like you do not know how to overclock. I would get whomever sold you the board to return it to stock settings. Sometimes a jumper is needed, most of the time overclocking is done in the bios.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it is done in the bios [and you do not know how to set it] you can clear cmos with the clear jumper. That should return all settings to stock. First of all CHECK the manual.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice