1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading CPU. Stall at splash screen. PSU problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adamcharding, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adamcharding

adamcharding Thread Starter

Hi to all at the Tech Support Guy forums. I'm wondering if you can help me with a rather unwelcome problem.

I recently (Saturday) received a new Core 2 Quad Q8300 that I had ordered to replace my current ageing Celeron D 2.6 GHz processor. I immediately set about performing the upgrade (I put my computer together myself so understand all the required precautions to take and am confident upgrading) but when I attempted to turn the computer back on, it only booted as far as the splash screen of the motherboard and went no further. When I tried to boot into the bios or any other of the options, there was no response and despite trying with different arrangements of RAM, minimal items plugged into the motherboard, the problem persists.

I figured at first that it was a problem I had created and maybe the motherboard had given up the ghost, or perhaps the graphics card or hard drive, but my worries with all of these was laid to rest when I decided to try out my old CPU again and found everything in the perfect working order it had been in immediately prior to the upgrade attempt.

The motherboard is guaranteed capable of supporting a quad core processor and I can think of nothing else that could possibly be the cause.

All this has brought me to the conclusion that the issue lies in one of two places: that either the CPU is faulty, or that the power supply I have is insufficient to power a beasty core 2 quad.

The situation I am left with is that I have no other power supply of greater power to test - the PSU is about 4 years old and came in a shop bought PC by the way - and if I opt to send the processor back, I would, firstly, have to package up the other (some large) items I bought at the same time, as per the requirement of the retailer and send it all back despite the others working perfectly, and second, possibly face a charge if it turns out the CPU is fine and something else was the problem.

I am planning on buying a new PSU as I'm gradually splitting my PC into 2, though didn't plan to purchase it yet. But my real question is, what is the requirement of a PSU to run a Q8300, and is it possible that a PSU not meeting it could cause the problem I am experiencing?

Hope this post wasn't too long and didn't put too many of you to sleep and thank you in advance for any replies. I am very grateful for your help.

Adam

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Where were you guaranteed that CPU would work? It does support certain older quad cores.

The Gigabyte CPU Support list for the motherboard in your specs does not list the Q8300 at all. Actually no Quad core CPU with a 1333Mhz FSB is supported by that motherboard, only a few 1066Mhz versions and a few Core 2 Duo's with a 1333Mhz FSB. It would appear the problem is with 45nm CPU"s, not supported by the board, only 65nm CPU's.

Here's Gigabytes CPU Support list: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2514&ver=#anchor_os

3. adamcharding

Hmm, I guess it was when I checked and saw that the motherboard manual listed it as supporting Core 2 Quad processors that I immediately presumed it meant all Core 2 Quad models (as opposed to Core 2 Extreme etc.) but now looking at that list again, which I must confess I did see but obviously paid too little attention to the key at the time, it seems that that is where my problem is.

Well as I say I am planning to upgrade most of my computer and make 2 so a new motherboard was always on the list and now it seems necessary for the processor.

Thank you very much for your help. It was the uncertainty that was the most annoying thing so now at least the problem is solved and I know what to do.

One last lingering concern: is there any chance that I could have damaged the CPU in any way by trying to use it in a motherboard that doesn't support it?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's a chance yes, but more likely its OK.

5. adamcharding

Thanks again for your help. It's a new motherboard for me.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice