Upgrading CPU

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Worgal

Hi,

I am curently looking to upgrade my CPU from an AMD athlon II x2 2.7GHz (socket AM3) to the AMD Phenom II x4 965 black edition 3.4GHz 125w (Socket AM3).

Although not completely computer illiterate i dont have much knowledge on building systems, when upgrading CPU, do i need to look at more than the socket? the "125w" in the new CPU is worrying me, how do i find out whether my current motherboard will be able to handle it? or is the power not an issue?

According to 'CPU-Z' my motherboard is "Acer - WMCP78M" however when reasearching i couldnt find much information about it, so i opened my case up, on the motherboard it says "acer da061/078l-am3".

Many Thanks,
Joe

what is the model no' of the computer......... then go to the acer site and see if there is any info there

Yes, you need to make sure you get the docs on the motherboard as far as what CPUs it will handle - the same socket is a start but there are other variables too...

crjdriver

My best guess is that your system will not support a 965. No one can tell you for sure except the mfg. It is more than just having the same socket; the mb components must be able to supply the correct pw for the cpu AND the bios must have the correct microcode to run the cpu.

In short you are going to have to contact acer to find out however I doubt it will be supported.

Worgal

Its an Acer Aspire x3300.
Thankyou for your replys, im going to try contact acer now as i cant find the information on their site.

Edit: callines closed, will call tomorrow
Thankyou
Joe

crjdriver

I did find a spec sheet on your system. It is equipped with a 220W pw supply. Even if your mb does support a 965, I would be very hesitant to install one with that low of a pw supply.

Worgal

I have upgraded the PSU previously to a 600w, as well as the case and graphics card: gforce GTX 550 Ti

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online