1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Worgal, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Worgal

Worgal Thread Starter

Hi,

I am curently looking to upgrade my CPU from an AMD athlon II x2 2.7GHz (socket AM3) to the AMD Phenom II x4 965 black edition 3.4GHz 125w (Socket AM3).

Although not completely computer illiterate i dont have much knowledge on building systems, when upgrading CPU, do i need to look at more than the socket? the "125w" in the new CPU is worrying me, how do i find out whether my current motherboard will be able to handle it? or is the power not an issue?

According to 'CPU-Z' my motherboard is "Acer - WMCP78M" however when reasearching i couldnt find much information about it, so i opened my case up, on the motherboard it says "acer da061/078l-am3".

Many Thanks,
    Joe

2. replay

replay

what is the model no' of the computer......... then go to the acer site and see if there is any info there

3. MScott821

MScott821

Yes, you need to make sure you get the docs on the motherboard as far as what CPUs it will handle - the same socket is a start but there are other variables too...

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

My best guess is that your system will not support a 965. No one can tell you for sure except the mfg. It is more than just having the same socket; the mb components must be able to supply the correct pw for the cpu AND the bios must have the correct microcode to run the cpu.

In short you are going to have to contact acer to find out however I doubt it will be supported.

5. Worgal

Worgal Thread Starter

Its an Acer Aspire x3300.
    Thankyou for your replys, im going to try contact acer now as i cant find the information on their site.

Edit: callines closed, will call tomorrow
    Thankyou
    Joe

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I did find a spec sheet on your system. It is equipped with a 220W pw supply. Even if your mb does support a 965, I would be very hesitant to install one with that low of a pw supply.

7. Worgal

Worgal Thread Starter

I have upgraded the PSU previously to a 600w, as well as the case and graphics card: gforce GTX 550 Ti

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice