1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by madrid21402, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madrid21402

madrid21402 Thread Starter

I was wondering if I can put thisthis in my computer..
    currently I am running a HP Pavilion 6745C it is curently using Socket 370 with a intel 810 chipset would that processer work with my current configuration.:)

2. McTimson

McTimson

It might be able to work, but that depends on whether or not your BIOS can accept it. It'll fit just fine, but your BIOS may not be able to handle CPU's above a certain speed...it's hard to tell with HP's.

epinion.com says that the processor is upgradeable, so it might work. However, I see that your current CPU uses a bus speed of 66mhz, and the one you're looking at uses a bus speed of 100mhz...I have no idea if that will present a problem, hopefully somebody else does.

3. Tecki

Tecki

Just thought that you should know, that the answer to that question is no. Your HP computer (like mine) contains an OEM motherboard, which translates into pure crap. The've removed the FSB settings, and what little performance gain you could get with the default 66 MHZ bus speed would hardly be noticeable.

So like McTimson says, it uses a different bus speed anyway, so it wouldn't work... sorry. if you do want to upgrade however, there's always a shiny new motherboard waiting at your local tech shop :D

4. madrid21402

madrid21402 Thread Starter

thanks, I'll just have to get a new motherboard.

5. rockinmale

rockinmale

I have to agree with tecki here. You might be able to pull an extra 100 mhz, but it's not even worth the money. Unfortunately proprietary systems like hp, dell, compaq, etc. Dont offer much upgradeability. Besides throwing in more ram and additional drives and cards and that's about it. If you want to upgrade your current machine. You can call hp and ask them about upgrading your current system. Be ready to pull out your wallet and grab your ankles. Your only options to upgrading. Either buy another proprietary system, or build your own.

Upgrading may not be easy as it looks......Just an FYI
    Just cause you we say you need a new motherboard doesnt exactly mean you need just a motherboard.

You wont be able to use your hp case with your new motherboard. So there's another expense for a case.

Your old motherboard uses onboard sound and graphics. Unless you buy another motherboard that uses onboard sound and graphics, You'll need to buy a sound card and a graphics card. If you looking to use your system for gaming i would highly recommend buying a graphics card than using the onboard graphics card.

As for memory or ram.
    I wouldnt buy a motherboard that uses sdram. Its too slow compared to ddr. So there's another expense.

If your looking to upgrade im sure everyone will be willing to help you piece a system together that gives you the most bang for buck.

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

Cant fully blame HP on this one... technology requirements change - even if it was a Standard clone - cases that worked well for P3 and older CPUs generally dont work well for todays systems.

An Nforce board has very good audio - some include onboard video for about $20 more... but is the power of a 2001 video card.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!