1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starwolf39, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starwolf39

starwolf39 Thread Starter

How easy is it to upgrade your CPU? I currently have a 1.3 Ghz P4 processor, and was thinking of maybe upgrading it to 2.0 Ghz. Is it as simple as taking out the chip and replacing it with a new one? I believe that my mobo supports up to 2.0 Ghz.

2. compilerxp

compilerxp

You need to do the following:

Check with your Motherboard maker and make sure there is a BIOS upgrade for it. When you bought your machine, it was long before the P4 2.0.

If your PC is a NAME BRAND - check the site again for bios update - but NAME BRAND prefer you to buy whole new machines, not low cost CPUs swaps, so it may or may not allow it.

Turn off system. Use a antistatic strap if possible. If not - touch the POwer supply to ground yourself before unplugging it or if there is a MASTER power switch on the back - switch it off.

You will need to remove the cooling fan (HSF) off the P4 CPU. There are catches on both sides that pop-off.

Then lift a latch on the side for the CPU. make sure the TOWER case is lying flat on a table with its guts FACING UP. Pull out CPU.

---

Put in NEW CPU carefully! There are almost 500 pins on that little thing (The new AMD 64bit CPU has about 750 pins!). Make sure it SEATS down completely flat.

FLip down the latch.

Attach the NEW P4 2.0ghz rated fan on top of the CPU.

With luck, your machine should boot up fine.

The fastest you should be able to put on your system is the P4 2.0Ghz... Make sure its NOT the Northwood or Socket 478.

Current price of the 2Ghz P4 is about $250~350. Which costs more than the NEW P4s 2.2Ghz which would perform like a 2.5Ghz CPU compared to the OLDer CPUs.

3. starwolf39

starwolf39 Thread Starter

A 2.0 Ghz P4 costs MORE than a 2.2 Ghz P4? Why is that? Doesn't a 2.2 outperform a 2.0?

4. max 8

max 8

The P4 socket 478 cpus are cheaper than the P4 cpus.

On www.pricewatch.com, the cheapest P4 2.0ghz cpu is $231 while the cheapest P4 2.2ghz socket 478 is $227.

Now if you're getting the P4 2.26ghz cpu, then that's around $255.

I guess the P4 socket 478 doesn't perform as well as the P4 cpus.

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

No!

Its a matter of supply and demand.

CPU NEW = Higest price.
    CPU on Market for months slowly lowers price (also competition)
    CPU Phase Out - Especially WHEN its incompatible with a revised board - Lower price

CPU Off Market - As stocks go very low for a CPU that works on rare/older systems - the price goes up again.

First P4s were very slow. The socket 478 was the true P4s as the original chips were more of Prototypes. hence, those in the business of systems didn't touch the first P4s. Even when the first Socket 42x(?) P4s were on the market Intel did say that in about a year it would retire it. They did this with the original Pentium 60/66Mhz chips. With the Extra high bus speed & RD-RAM is the P4 finally able to outrun the fastest AMD in most tests.

Of course typical P4s are NOT using RD-RAM. In fact for about 5 months MOST P4 systems were SD-RAM (Low end) which took about 25% performance hit out of the P4. Most P4 systems sold today use DDR.

The original P4s were so slow - that the price & value of the systems dropped very quickly. Thank god for competition! A P3-900Mhz is a tad faster than the P4 1.4Ghz in real world performance. Remember, the P4 is made FIRST for high speed Mhz - than doing real work.

I stopped building Intel systems because I got sick of Intel games with the market both those who build systems and the customers.

Until recently, with the "Celeron" version of the P4 - anyone who bought a Celeron Socket 370 had NO upgrade path. While someone with an AMD Duron 800 could easily pop in a 2000Mhz AMD CPU. Thats good scaling for the customer and easy for system builders to keep inventory.

The P4 2.0Ghz will get your SPEED up to a decent level.

Also, remember that Pricewatch is strickly mail order shops- and is a good gauge on market pricing. Your local area maybe cost 0 to 25% more. Going to CompUSA & Best buy means the highest price.

Here is what you are most likely looking at:

P4 2.0 = $240 + $15 (CPU + cooling fan) + shipping. ($255)

An option:

AMD XP 1800 ($110) + ATX Mobo ($60~140 - depending on features) + $50 for 256mb DDR RAM + cooling fan =
    $256 - 320. And you'll have a faster system.... but requires a bit more work than simply POPing IN a new CPU. And have the ability to pop in a FASTER CPU... like an XP 2000,2200 and 2500.

6. carltasha

carltasha

I have a problem with the price of the high end cpus . I run 2 machines every day for many hours , one is an 850 tbird and the other is a 666 p3 . they rock , i dont need to wait for much . the ddram is the only difference i see . loading into 133 sdram is slow compared to the 2100 ddram , but other than that I have no reason to upgrade , everything I do works in a flash , maby i would save a second here and there , but a what caust . No , I have no reason to upgrade .

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

For many people - computers feels slow as we add more software and get used to the speed.

My 7Mhz Amiga was like a rocket compared to my 2mhz C128. The 14Mhz upgrade chip made a difference in life.

Then getting a 25Mhz 68030 Amiga was about 5 times faster, amazing for 1991.

I did professional DTP on a P1-133Mhz computer, using PhotoShop3 (ugh) and 80mb RAM - working with files that were about 45mb each! This was before LAYERS...! My video cards were fairly high end 2~4mb models.

My P3-900mhz FEELS very slow. I've been building AMD XP systems since last year and they totally smoke my P3 system. The games I play and the things I do in photoshop WILL and DO benifit with having a 2000Mhz CPU. It's all relative.

Yet I'll easily say that the BASIC home user will DO FINE with a 300~800mhz system. For email, word processing and web surfing - a P4 2Ghz system is not going to do much. Come on, I did DTP on a 7mhz computer! ;)

I'm sold one of my older Celeron 366Mhz/256mb system to a friend... it is a severe upgrade from his old 200Mhz/32mb system that is dying. For his needs, the 200mhz computer seems okay.
    But he'll feel the difference soon enough :)

nite...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!