1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading DDR2 Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mulderator, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

I'm helping a friend upgrade his HP Pavillion a1030n computer. Right now it has two 256K stick installed in the No. 1 and 3 slots (from left to right). I was going to upgrade with two 512 sticks. Would adding those up the RAM to 1.5 Gigs or do all four have to match? And it adding the 512 will work, do I put those in the 2 and 4 slots or put the 512s side by side in the first two slots and the two 256s in the 3 and 4 slots? Or do I just add two more 256Ks to have a total of 1 GB?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Make/model and details of the machine would help. But in most cases, putting the 2x512's in slots 2 and 4 should be all you need to do.

3. Mulderator

Its in the first sentence of the post--HP Pavillion a1030n! ;)

4. BG-0

BG-0

Buying a whole set of 4 (or 3 if you want to go cheap) 512 MB modules could be wise, if your motherboard supports faster (in MHz) memory (I think it takes DDR2 533 Mhz = PC2 4200) than the preinstalled PC2 3200 memory. Youll get a more efficient performance boost. As long as you don't buy the cheapest memory around, with like CL6 timings. Though, you can, for sure I think, install the new 512 MB modules to the free slots. If you will leave the old modules to be, you should buy same speed upgrade modules.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Do yourself a favor and don't just buy 2 512 sticks which you can do but match them and that has nothing to do with speed. If you go to www.kingston,corsair or crucial.com, there is a configurator which will show you the models of those mfgrs which will work. You don't need to buy them there but you do need to buy those model numbers to assure success.

6. Mulderator

Thanks for the replies guys but no one has really answered my question.

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Mulder, it should work. Put one 512 and one 256 in each channel and grit your teeth. If the ram will work together you will know pretty quickly. Try finding ram "comaparable" to what is already in the machine.

Memory tech changes so fast it can be hard to find the exact same sticks for an upgrade. Most times the stuff will work if you are careful about the timings and speed when buying.

Now, shut up. ;)

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm blind, I guess. That's what comes with reading far too many posts that have no details. :D

9. Mulderator

Thanks Skivvy, you pr!ck. ;) How do I match it. Can you tell me what would be compatible on NewEgg?

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Check the machine on crucial.com to see what would work. Then order your memory from whoever. Crucial will give you timings, voltage, speed, etc.

Good luck Moldy. (y)

11. Mulderator

Thats a bullsheet answer--I want you to do it for me!!! ;)

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

And I want Moonie to do it for me. ;)

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes................

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

I gave you that in post # 5. As for original question put new sticks in slot 2 & 4.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/734130

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice