1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Drivers for Computer Hardware?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by danvorhaus, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danvorhaus

danvorhaus Thread Starter

Hi all -

I've had my computer for over a year and, just recently, I've started to notice some crash problems that I'm not quite sure how to remedy. I suspect that the problem might be the fact that I haven't updated (at least not consciously) any hardware drivers in the past year and it might be time (or well past time) to do that.

Most recently, my computer simply crashed and, when it automatically restarted, I received the following message:

"No drive attached to FastTrack IDE controller.

The BIOS is not installed."

I was able to reboot in Safe Mode, shut down the computer, and then boot into regular Windows XP. When I did the "Found New Hardware" Wizard popped up and notified me that it had found a new IDE controller. Windows couldn't automatically locate the driver but I put in the disk that came with my motherboard (13-131-510 MB ASUS A8V DELUXE K8T800PRO RET, purchased from NewEgg) and it was able to locate the driver for the WinXP Promise FastTrac 378 (tm) Controller and WinXP Promise RAID Console SCSI Processor Device.

So my computer is currently running, but I'm tremendously worried that it is going to crash again. Can anybody tell me what, if anything, I need to do to go about upgrading my system drivers? I went to the support page for the ASUS A8V Deluxe (http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us) and found a bios update (version 1017) that was released in December 2005, after I put together this computer. I think that, perhaps, I should download and install this but I'm not positive, and I don't want to do anything that will make this problem worse...

Does anybody have any suggestions or friendly words of advice for me? I spend a lot of time keeping my anti-virus / spyware / firewall software up to date, but I'm not sure what to do when it comes to hardware maintenance. So I'd appreciate any help that you all can offer.

Thanks so much in advance!

- Dan

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You should never update a BIOS unless you are experiencing a hardware issue for which the BIOS has a specific fix. It's not a recreational activity, as if it goes wrong, your motherboard may be only useful as a doorstop.

You did the right thing using your motherboard CD to reload the chipset drivers, they can become corrupt as can any file on the hard drive, for a myriad of reasons.

If you feel compelled to update the drivers (NOT the BIOS) then visit the motherboard makers website and see if they have more recent ones to download, however I suspect that you may just end up fixing it until it become broken, not the other way around.

Unless you have updated or changed hardware, I see no real merit in updating the motherboard drivers. If it is not broken, don't fix it.

3. danvorhaus

Well I'm glad that I didn't update the bios then...

The only concern I have is that I *am* actually having problems, which is what led me to think about looking into updating my hardware drivers in the first place. In recent weeks I've occassionally been blue-screened when restarting my computer and, since this most recent IDE problem, I receive a "searching for IDE drives" message when the computer boots that didn't used to be there. It does seem to be finding everything OK, at least at the moment, but I'm worried that something is going wrong here...but I guess you're telling me to wait for a more serious problem? I know there's a lot of merit to the old saw "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," but that still strikes me as a somewhat risky proposition to me. If possible I'd like to head off what appears to be a pending system failure before it actually occurs...

Since I haven't added any new hardware in the last year, is there any chance that what are seemingly hardware issues are somehow software (or, shudder, virus or spyware) triggered? One thing that I've noticed that may or may not be relevant (but, even if not relevant, it would be great if somebody knew how to fix this) is that every time my computer goes into hibernation from Windows XP I must do a full restart of the system in order to regain internet connectivity. If I simply log back into windows I always get a "limited or no connectivity" warning for my network connection, and I can't access the internet. Any thoughts on how to fix this and whether or not that might be related to my larger crashing problems?

Thanks in advance for all help and suggestions!

- Dan

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Actually I would look at virus and spyware first to rule them out, and Kiwi is on the money as usual bios updates can be crippling so use only when a specific problem is resolved by them.
    I would suggest online scanners at:
    www.eWido.net
    www.bitdefender.com
    Then I would wonder about Via 4in1 chipset driver updates as that is what that Board takes.

5. bigbear

bigbear

The symptoms you describe could possibly be a failing PSU, especially the restarts and shutdowns

6. danvorhaus

Hi all -

Thanks for the follow-up advice. I ran several virus and spyware scans and they all came back negative. Before I look at the chipset drivers I thought I'd post my HT log (I don't know what I'm looking at, but I do know that this is probably the appropriate step at this stage) to see if anybody could spot any trouble areas.

If that's not it then I guess I look at upgrading the chipset? Is there anything that I can do to test my power supply to see if it is, in fact, failing and needs to be replaced?

Anyhow, here's the HT log. Thanks in advance for the continued help!

- Dan

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 10:04:06 PM, on 10/3/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
    C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus XtremeG\AirPlusCFG.exe
    C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIndex.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopCrawl.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopMail.exe
    C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [anvshell] anvshell.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [D-Link AirPlus XtremeG] C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus XtremeG\AirPlusCFG.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ANIWZCS2Service] C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ptipbmf] rundll32.exe ptipbmf.dll,SetWriteCacheMode
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe" AcRdB7_0_7 -reboot 1
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\aim.exe
    O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {B1826A9F-4AA0-4510-BA77-9013E74E4B9B} - http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/as4web.cab
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - WRLogonNTF.dll (file missing)
    O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
    O23 - Service: ASUSKeyboardService - ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - C:\WINDOWS\asuskbservice.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!