1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading everything

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Voodoomelon, Dec 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Voodoomelon

Voodoomelon Thread Starter

hey,
    I would consider myself hardware competent, and am about to under take the large task of upgrading my motherboard, processor, hard drive and sound card at the same time. But I have a number of questions before I begin –

1. What kind of power supply is needed to power a Pentium 4 1.9GHz, 350W? I don’t really know.

2. What kind of motherboard would you recommend for the P4? I know I need an Intel i850 with an S478, but I don’t want integrated audio, I need at least 4 PCIs and I am looking to buy from Jungle.com, for under £150uk. Also, I’m just wondering about the ports on the rear of the motherboard and how they stick out from the back of the case. Do you get a small panel or something with the board to surround the ports, incase the new board doesn’t line up with the existing panel on the rear of the case? ( My case is a 2 yr old Gateway ATX tower, housing a 440BX).
    3. Just a question about the power button. The cable leading from the button, is it universal? i.e. will it connect to any motherboard?
    4. A question now about RDRAM. I know that RDRAM has to be installed in pairs and I read somewhere that every RIMM slot has to be filled, but that’s about all I know. If my new motherboard has, say, 4 RIMM slots, can I install 1x 256MB chip, or does there have to be 2x 128Mb? If it’s the latter, what about the other 2 slots, do they have to be filled, if so, with what?
    5. Finally, when I put all my new hardware together, and switch on for the first time, will I have to configure the new BIOS or something, or can I simply put in my Windows CD and begin installation?

Thanks a Million!!!

2. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

If you get a board that uses RDRAM, memory must be installed in identical pairs. If you want 256MB of total memory, you would have to buy 2 128MB chips. The other two slots are filled with "blanks" that should come with the motherboard (unless you buy an OEM board).

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

A thought on the case.....I could be wrong, but I don't think many slots are going to line up for you......if any......I think you'd be best off buying a new case.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

RIMM or RAMBUS does have to be used in sets of two matching chips on a P4 system... I have this now... & I am installing 2 - 128MB's of RIMM this evening... the other 2 slots are 64's ... each.

larger RIMMs are in the lead RIMM slot... In this case of mine I have to switch them & put the larger new chips where the smaller ones are now. But no not all 4 have to be filled... just the matching two

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

All four slots MUST be filled. They don't have to be filled with memory. They can be filled with what are called continuity modules, but they can not be left empty.

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

But "no" not all 4 have to be filled w/ RIMM... just the matching two & the continuity modules in the other two

edit ( I knew what I was saying but didn't state it correctly to you )

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice