1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading from a 933 to a ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Golfpak2001, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Golfpak2001

Golfpak2001 Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    I'm looking to upgrade my 933 pentium 3 processor to a 1.4 or higher pentium 4, but since I can't find my documentations on my system I need to find all my puter specs, but I forgot where to look for this. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

When I get this info, I will come back and ask for more details on the upgrade.

Oops, forgot to tell you I am using XP home.

2. rockinmale

rockinmale

Hi Golfpack2001!

To get you started on your journey. Here's a piece of software that will tell you everything about your computer.

You can download it at this link.....
    aida32

Okay so you wanna upgrade.....That's great!
    I will let you know that there is a big difference between a pentium 3 and 4 cpu. Let's take your p3 933 for example. It uses a FCPGA(flip chip pin grid array)370 socket. A pentium 4 uses either a 423 socket or a 478. Your current motherboard will not work with a pentium 4 processor. In order to run a pentium 4 system you will need a motherboard that supports a pentium 4. Perferably one with a socket 478.

If you plan to upgrade to a pentium 4. You will need to upgrade the cpu, memory, and motherboard to start. Depending on your current hardware some of that can be transferred into the new system. That all depends on what your old system has inside.

If you need any assistance putting a new system together. Send us a post and well be glad to help.

TC
    rockinmale:cool:

3. Golfpak2001

Golfpak2001 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info rock. The main reason I want to upgrade is because my son plays alot of games on here and most, if not all the new games, require a faster processor of at least 1 gig or more. Some of my friends say it would be better to have someone build me another one rather than to attempt to do it myself and just either sell this one or keep it for whatever reasons. I'll see what I come up with and I'll let you or anyone else here know what I'll do. Thanks again.

One more problem I just found out about. The CD-ROM is not working right. I'll put a CD in and it will just keep flashing consistantly, but it will not autoplay. When it is done flashing after a minute or so, nothing happens so I try to click on the icon to start it manually and it says to insert a CD in to the drive even though there is one inserted. The drivers are up to date, I uninstalled it and reinstalled to no avail. I noticed there is another thread with the same problem and I tried everything in there, but no luck. It worked fine a few days ago, so I am told, and now...nothing. It seems to try to read it with the light flashing, but then it doesn't do anything. Thanks for any info.

I have to leave for about an hour, but I'll be back to try and figure this out. Thanks again.

4. rallyben

rallyben

You might need to check the data cables behind the cd-rom (big, flat, gray cable) make sure that the red edge of the cable is closest to the power cable. it can sometimes get knocked loose or flipped upside down. BTW it should only be able to go in one way unless it is just a really old comp.

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

P3 motherboards are not compatible with a P4 CPU. Depending on what your system is, you may have to build a whole new computer... besides, a 1.4Ghz P4 is actually slower than a PIII-933Mhz... the first P4s were junk.

If your case is a standard ATX, drop in a $70 KT400/Nforce2 board, a $80 CPU (AMD XP2500), 512mb RAM ($80) and a $80 Ti4200 video card and you'll be set...

No matter what, you're talking about a complete overhaul of the hardware.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice