1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading from a SATA SSD to PCI-e (nvmE) SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Prepre, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Prepre

Prepre Thread Starter

So I'm planning on upgrading my SSD from a 750 EVO somthing (~126GB) to a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD. I will be going for a clean install of windows 10, and I was wondering if I have to do some settings to the BIOS like this guide suggests:

https://tinkertry.com/how-to-boot-w...ep-by-step-prep-for-windows-10-boot-from-nvme

1. From Download Windows 10, use the Download Tool 64-bit link to get MediaCreationToolx64.exe
    2. Insert a USB 3.0 flash drive such as the SanDisk Ultra Fit and create the bootable install media
    3. insert this flash drive into one of the blue rear USB 3.0 ports of the Supermicro SYS-5028D-TN4T
      [​IMG]
      The default is Legacy, change these [and BIOS boot mode] to EFI
    4. power up
    5. press Del to get into BIOS
    6. set BIOS to defaults, reboot
    7. set BIOS to UEFI mode
    8. go to SATA Configuration
    9. change all SSDs you have from Hard Disk Drive to Solid State Drive
    10. press ESC, then select PCIe/PCI/PnP Configuration
    11. select M.2 PCI-E 3.0 X4, change from default [Legacy] to [EFI]
    12. select SLOT 7 PCI-E 3.0 X16, change from default [Legacy] to [EFI]
    13. optionally, for better speed, select Onboard Video Option ROM, change from default [Legacy] to [EFI], this allows you to do the next step
    14. press ESC, select Security, select CSM Support, change from default [Legacy] to [EFI]
    15. press ESC, select Boot Settings, Boot Mode Select, change from [Dual] default to [UEFI]
    16. press ESC, Save Changes and Reset
    17. if you have no data on any drives, your system will likely automatically boot from the USB drive (if not, press F11 at boot time to manually select USB UEFI)
    18. perform a normal Windows 10 installation, you'll have a GPT drive type, and if you clone it someday to a >2TB drive, it will still be bootable
    19. for this drive, the speed is slower with Windows 10's Microsoft NVMe driver, from Samsung's SSD site, download and install the Samsung NVMe Driver Installer, then reboot when prompted

2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

My Z97 (2014ish) PC booted right up to the M.2 SSD after I cloned the existing drive to it; but, you do need to have an M.2 socket on your system board. NVME is not quite the same as M.2.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    So do you have a Supermicro SYS-5028D-TN4T as in the guide ?
    If not what motherboard do you have ?

4. Prepre

Prepre Thread Starter

Oh right, I have this one:
    ASUS ROG Strix Z270E Gaming, Socket-1151

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You should be fine with that motherboard, it has 2 M.2 sockets and both will work with NVMe type drives.

If you're in the UK there's a great 'deal of the day' for that Samsung NVMe drive on Amazon.co.uk

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice