1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading from ME to XP Professional

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LReese, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LReese

LReese Thread Starter

I am currently using Windows 98ME. I want to upgrade to XP Professional. Is this tricky to do? Do I need to know about any quirks before I embark on this venture? Thanks for any assistance.

Linda :confused:

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    No real quirks. I do suggest a clean install to an empty drive but if you don't want to go through the additional steps, run the upgrade and see how it performs. Sometimes it's better to start from scratch and get rid of the years of junk you've accumulated. Do you have anything on the hard drive like documents, etc.. that you really need?

BTW, if you bought the Upgrade CD, you can install it to an empty drive. You just need your original Windows ME CD and you'll be prompted for it during the install to verify you're qualified for the Upgrade if it doesn't find a current install of Windows ME on the hard drive.

3. swanny65

swanny65

i'm no expert but i've just installed win 2000 sp4 on a spare pc for my kids. i had a problem with my usb but after advice to a posting i made on here it works fine. now trying on my everyday pc with 5 years of data on it i'll post any problems later. the one major mistake i initially made was to use ntfl keep to fat32 if you can....not sure if ME is ntfl or fat 32. good luck

4. Doodaman

Doodaman

I upgrade from ME to XP Pro and had no problems. I also changed the file structure to NTFS and had no problems or loss of data. My computer is much more stable. Go for it, just follow the prompts and you won't havve any problems.

5. LReese

LReese Thread Starter

Thanks all for responding - it's much appreciated. What I didn't tell you was that I have a HP Pavillion 8756C and it came with Windows ME on it. All I have are the recovery discs. Am I supposed to take 98ME off completely before I load the XP or do I just do this over the ME98. I have wiped my system clean in the past due to technical errors and the advice of the wonderful HP guys (that's a joke, people) so I did use the recovery discs for that and did ok. No special docs that I need to save, computer is mostly for bill paying and surfing, etc. Thanks again folks -

Linda

6. Doodaman

Doodaman

Shouldn't need to take off the existing Windows OS, the upgrade will handle that part for you.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

To do it right, do a clean install . . upgrades over the top of ME are prone to many issues . . many of which do not show up immediately.

Prior to installing, enter BIOS ( Setup ) and make sure the CD/ROM the first boot device. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from cd" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

You will have to reload drivers and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install the MicroSoft Critical Updates. Alternately, this would be a good time to install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet you should enable the XP firewall.

If you want to save your files and settings, you can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard to create an image of them and save to cd or other removable media. This is a good guide to using the FAST wizard

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_fstw.asp

Have fun . . wrs

8. LReese

LReese Thread Starter

Thank you very much for all your advice and the reference you gave me to assist me through this "endeavor". It is much appreciated.

Linda

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice