1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading from ME to XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hocknose, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hocknose

hocknose Thread Starter

Hi y'all. I Recently upgraded form ME to XP. When trying to access the net through AOL (56k) I get an error message saying something about "The communications port is invalid". Any ideas?

2. Dan O

Dan O

Versions of America Online for Windows earlier than 6.0.2, v. 4111 will not run correctly under Windows XP. AOL recommends upgrading to 6.0.2, v.4111 or installing the new version 7 before upgrading to Windows XP. You can find version 7 by running AOL and typing in the keyword "upgrade."

3. hocknose

hocknose Thread Starter

Thanx Dano, but I can't log onto AOL, that's the problem. Because it was an upgrade, is it possible to uninstall xp and have it automatically go back to ME? That way I can retrieve the upgraded AOL? Also is it just possible that I need to update the driver for my modem (communications port).?:)

4. Dan O

Dan O

I recommend you go to any big chain store (e.g. Target, WallMart, or BlockBusters) and get a AOL 7.0 CD.

Or to uninstall Windows XP

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs.
    Click Windows XP Professional, click Remove and then follow the instructions on your screen.

IMPORTANT
    You cannot uninstall Windows XP Professional if you:

Changed your hard disk configuration, for example, if you have converted from FAT to NTFS or have created partitions
    Upgraded from Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 Professional.

5. hocknose

hocknose Thread Starter

Right on, Thanx Dano!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice