1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading from Onboard Video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dan91, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dan91

Dan91 Thread Starter

Howdy, I just recently bought an Asus Geforce 7600GS AGP card for my hp a737n, and have been experiencing problems booting up since I intalled it. a737n specs: 1 gb of ram, 250W max output power, 3200+ AMD Athlon processor, 1 avail AGP slot, 2 avail pci slots, 2 occupied dimms slots, SiS onboard video, can supply additional information if it's needed.

I unintalled the drivers for my SiS onboard card and shut down. I plugged the Asus card into the AGP slot, and plugged my monitor into the card. When I tried to boot up, the computer gave off a sustained high pitched beep, and nothing displayed on the monitor. I couldn't find a meaning for the sustained beep in any BIOS beep charts I could find.

So, being the computer novice that I am, I uninstalled the Asus card and plugged the monitor back into the onboard video. I tried to boot up, and noting displayed on the monitor, but the beep changed, to a series of interminating identical short beeps. Checked the BIOS beep code chart for that: bad memory. So I removed, switched, reseated, and generally manipulated the memory in any way I could without a change. Tried connecting another monitor to the computer but observed the same result.

Hope I provided enough information, thanks in advance. :)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    anything else plugged into the PCI slots - you may have disturbed anothe model
    check all cables etc - its easy to disturb something

250W is not a lot of power

what do you have in the PC - HDD / DVD
    is that about it ??

did you look at bios central for the codes
    http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

3. brite750

brite750

well 2 things, one a 250watt psu is not hardy enough for the new gfx card, and 2 I would try resetting bios to get your screen back, just pop battery out for 20 seconds and pop back in

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Pull power plug out of psu and off of motherboard plugs for a about 20 minutes, then plug all back in and try with onboard again. No need to mess with bios, you need to reset the psu is all.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!