1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading from SP1 to SP2 really necessary?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by onibaba, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onibaba

onibaba Thread Starter

I just learned that Microsoft is going to discontinue support for SP1 on Oct. 10th, 2006. I have heard of many horror stories from people who had bad issues upgrading from SP1 to SP2. I feel my PC is much more secure than the average user. I have Zonelabs ZoneAlarm, Grisoft's AVG anti-virus, Lavasoft's AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy, CWShredder, PCTools Spyware Doctor, and Spyware Blaster on my PC. Also, I have many of the vulnerable Windows Services set to "Disabled or Manual". Further, all my ports are in "stealth" mode. I feel that my PC is always in a very secure state.

Accordingly, would I be foolish to NOT upgrade to SP2? Thanks in advance for your advice.

If I do not upgrade from SP1 to SP2, will I still be able to upgrade from SP1 to
    Vista, when it is available?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have for me.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you follow the horror stories to conclusion, you see that 99% were due to spyware, trojans, viruses or junkware that was on the pc when the upgrade was applied. There are a few real issues . . Prescott processors require a patch and some BIOS were poorly written and needed updating.

I guess I would phrase the question the other way . . why not upgrade? . . why depend on third party software for security?

When you do, see this for hints or preparing and download the full version here

Disconnect from the internet, disable antivirus and firewalls prior to updating. You can check your manufacturers support site to see if a BIOS update is required ( not many are )

There will be no upgrade path from XP to Vista I belive. . . and think about it . . Vista will have at least everything that SP2 does and more, so why be afraid of SP2?

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Most of the "horror" stories were hopelessly overblown, and the issues have long since been resolved. Just look at your reason for the question and ask yourself if you want to be cut off from updates? SP2 is one of the first things that I apply to a new installation.

5. onibaba

onibaba Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate your input. I just completed upgrading from SP1 to SP2. It took a total of about 2 1/2 hours with no problems. Thanks again.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Well done . . . it will take several reboots, but once it stabilizes, you should see a noticable improvement in performance, maybe slightly longer boot times

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You have to remember one thing. No matter how secure you think your computer is there is always a new threat that is going to stick it to your computer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482595

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice