1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading from win 95

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bill142, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bill142

bill142 Thread Starter

I'm using a Celeron 333a with 256mb Ram and a 30 gb hard drive. The hard drive has just been installed an i wish to run win 98 or 2000 on this system, but when i try to install either i can't. Win 98 just won't run and 2000 seems to have a corrupt file. I have formatted and fdisked the drive numerous times all to no avail. Im fresh outta ideas. the only options i have left are to find out if the hard drive is faulty or take it to a computer shop and get them to tell me what the problem is. any ideas would be much appreciated

2. Hairy

Hairy

......but when i try to install either i can't.......

you need to supply more details....

why would you fdisk the drive?

maybe your cdrom is faulty after all this?
    tried copying the files to disk and installing from there?

3. bill142

bill142 Thread Starter

the cd drive is fine, i installed win 95 from cd and other cds work on it. I put the hard drive into my Athlon system and windows wouldn't even load, said something about loading IOS and there was some problem it wasn't very descript the error message and then it said to restart windows. Its now back in the Celeron and working again but still not able to install a newer version of windows.

4. NetEngineer

NetEngineer

What type of system (hardware...be specific) and what are the exact error messages when the installs fail...?

Also...Why on earth would you put yourself through the agony of installing Win2K on a Smeleron based system....!!!!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice