1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading from Windows7 32bit to 64bit

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by iMetAndy, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iMetAndy

iMetAndy Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently upgraded my computer (specs below) :

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1075T Processor, x64 Family 16 Model 10 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 3199 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 584389 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, 870U-G55 (MS-7599), 5.0, To be filled by O.E.M.
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011, Updated and Enabled

This has now put me in a position where i can upgrade to windows7 64bit! JOY!!

After updating my system i realised i must reinstall windows7 (32bit) back onto my computer thus creating a separate folder marked "windows.old" where all my files where now kept...

My question is that if i were to upgrade to 64bit (possibly using windows anytime upgrade service?) would i have to go through the process of reinstalling all my programs again?

N.B. The reason im doing this is because i have been informed that i will be able to use more of my 8GB RAM since you can see above it is only registering at appropriately 3GB.

Thanks in advance!

2. Lance1

Lance1

Will I lose files, programs, or settings when I install Windows 7?

An upgrade installation of Windows 7 will keep your files, programs, and settings in place. A custom (clean) installation doesn't preserve your files, programs, or settings. If you plan to do a custom installation of Windows 7, be sure to back up your files and other information first. You'll also need to manually reinstall your programs. For more information, see "Installing and reinstalling Windows 7"

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm pretty sure that any time you go from 32-bit to 64-bit, whether the same version of Windows 7 or not, you have to do a custom (clean, fresh) install. I don't have time to search right now to confirm.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Yes, to install 64 bit OS on a 32 bit OS must be done with a CLEAN install, a upgrade will NOT work.
    So back up ALL data, find all of your program installs including CD's and downloaded programs.

Then you can do a clean install and start over installing your programs and data.

Also you will need to get 64 bit drivers for your printers, scanners and other devices that require them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!