1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading from works 4 to 8 ?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by philip kirkham, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philip kirkham

philip kirkham Thread Starter

Good morning,

I work for a small engineering company (i know - a dying breed), over the last 8 years they have stuck with what was then reasonably up to date systems and software (within the confines of budget).

Basically we have HP Brios and older pc's running generally - works 4 and the like, our MD is now looking to replace the pc's with new equipment, running XP Professional, but we have a lot of data from the last 8 years using works, which surprisingly enough we do use, we could use office to 'convert' old doc's to viewable copies, but i was wondering if the latest version of works (8) would be backward compatible when both are with running XP professional and works 4 data.
    Things like the settings for the macro boxes which are opened in spreadsheet documents, would they stay the same etc., preferably what we are looking to do is replace the hardware and software with as little disruption to the data we use, if works 8 can open the works 4 doc's with no changes it would save us a major headache.

Thanking you in advance
    phil

2. philip kirkham

I take it the question is too dumb to be answered.

thanks anyway

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I don't consider the question "dumb" in any respect.

I suspect the problem is that most will not know, and certainly in my many years of PC use and experience I have never seen "Works" used in any commercial business. To be honest I was unaware that Works spreadsheet even handled macro's, and all the reviews of Works 8 on the web state that Excel macros are not supported if an Excel sheet is opened.

Works was so much an problem when it came to exporting data to other parties, nobody tended to use it, in my experience.

Some data is available here, as to exportable compatability (but I know you need internal compatability, but it might help)
    http://www.zimac.de/works/wkscmp.htm

If one of the regulars here has Works 8, and responds, perhaps you could send them a sample file to see.

But with the proliferation of fully functional suites like Open Office that are free, if you need to move away then try that as an alternative. In fact whay not download and install OpenOffice anyway and try it to see if it handles your existing data, its not as if there is a cost?

4. bomb #21

bomb #21

Which is Works 8? I have a "Works 2000" disk -- if that's any good, I could install it to check a sample file or 3. PM me?

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Not sure if it has a "year" designation, but if it did it would be Works 2006, by the look of the Microsoft site, as the same version as a "Suite" is Works Suite 2006, which contains Word (but oddly enough, only Word 2002, an older version).

I would be looking at Open Office first though, as a preferred option. The price is right.

6. philip kirkham

From the PC's at work they are works4 documents, .wks extension, not really clued up on macro's, but to describe the effect, we click on the address or details box and it appears to open as a framed box which we enter text in, similar to a spread sheet layout (series of columns and rows).

I have opened a document using excel on my home PC running XP professional, and a xp version of office, and it is able to create a 'viewable' copy of the document, although it does not appear to be capable of altering any of the 'BOXED' details.

I have been to the local PC World today and they had a reduced to clear ex display Packard Bell which appeared to have Works8 installed, but no copies of it on the shelves.

We recently have changed they way we are to operate, whereby one member of staff will be doing the purchase orders, this is supposed to alieviate my work load (might actually increase it from initial estimates) but her PC does not have Works 4 installed, only excel, so we are having to generate the doc's as .xls versions, i am going to try and see if her PC can still view the old doc's, will post the result later.

As for the designation, i have only known works as version 4, the MS site does list Works 8 as both a suite and stand alone, though it does seems to be aimed at the home market, our old IT manager must have seen the works4 as a cheap alternative to office, as the version before the current one was just - Works -.

Even going for the open office being free might be difficult, i have enough trouble getting the MD to accept that we need to upgrade the hardware now as the 4GB PC running the XP is down to just above 3%, after clearing some old files its back up from 114MB to just over 210MB. as some of the current web sites for accounts software updates and pensions are only usable with XP PC's with IE6 as a minimum, this PC is getting full quickly, and he wont spring for a external hard drive to boost the memory, nor will he let me install CCleaner.

Phil

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!