1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paul1085, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul1085

paul1085 Thread Starter

Not sure if this is in the right sub forum or not sorry. :)

Hi all, new to these forums but people tell me the people on here are very reliable when it comes to pc building, its my birthday tomorrow and I have £70 to spend on upgrading my pc, as I have a 9800GT graphics card and starting to have to run every game in low settings this is where Im going to start, so my budget for a graphics card is the full £70.

My specs at present:
    ASROCK H61M-VS Socket 1155 S/L M-ATX Motherboard
    Intel Core i3 2120 3.3 GHz Processor Dual Core
    Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9B RAM Module - 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) - DDR3
    Corsair CX430 430WATT ATX power supply

Now I tried to do a little research myself regarding an upgrade and using the following list seems to represent the best value for money I can get:
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

Been looking at the Radeon HD 6970 and they go for around £70 mark on some places, my questions are this:

1. Is this the best I will be able to get with my budget?
    2. On one seller they said "Please note this card is long and will not fit into small or HTPC cases, you need a full size ATX case and it requires a high quality 550 watt (or better) power supply to function correctly!"

My motherboard is quite small and also the ram sticks seem to be rather close to the graphics card slot, also my power supply is only 430 watt which is why I have my doubts that I will be able to even use this card.

Regards Paul.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not a hard-core gamer nor a hardware expert, but I see a few potential issues.

1. The small case and cramped space may cause a heat issue.

2. The 430 watt power supply may not be adequate to handle the graphics/gaming load.

3. The motherboard is too small for a full-size graphics card.

Attached Files:

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

flavallee is correct. A corsair cx is not designed for gaming. The cx line from corsair is designed for a basic build only ie onboard/onchip video running office programs, email, etc. It is NOT made for any type of gaming, overclocking or any other stressful endeavor. Here is what corsair says in regard to the cx line;
    http://www.corsair.com/en-us/power-supply-units/cx-series

Next issue would be the case and room to install the video card. Only you really have the answer to this question. All video card mfg have detailed specs for their products ie dimensions, etc. Once you know the size, simply get a ruler and measure the amount of space you have to install the card. Remember you need to have adequate space for airflow around the card; at least a 1/2" or more of clearance. The more space the better for airflow.

IMO you have a basic system ie an i3 processor, very basic asrock mb, and a corsair cx pw supply. If you want to game with this system, it would be better [and more cost effective] to sell it and build a gaming system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!